New glass aquarium 75 gallon mistake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JBirdJace

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just purchased a used 75 gallon aquarium, and I have filled the bottom with plant soil and sand purchased at my local fish store. I have added nothing to the aquarium but water and substrate as well as stripping the caulk and adding a fresh seal. When I was cleaning my glass aquarium, I used a glass cleaner which is not intended for ingestion to clean the green residue off of my glass. It worked really well, but I didn't think about cleaning it up immediately afterwards. today, forgetting about the glass cleaner that was still on the glass from when I had applied it there to be cleaned, I filled the new aquarium with my substrate and then over the day about 70% full of water. I didn't remember the glass cleaner until this point. Right away I started draining my aquarium so that it is close to empty of water again. My question is, what do I have to do in order to clean my glass of the chemical which was applied to clean it. Am I able to keep my substrate? It was quite expensive and intended for a fresh new fish tank, if I can still clean it somehow and readd it that would be fantastic. I'm not sure how much effort is necessary to get rid of the chemical but I'm willing to do what it takes, Thank you

What was the cleaner????

What kind of substrate???

I would do a sample after lots and lots of rinsing of the substrate, soak in Prime water conditioner.

In a smaller / container aquarium, I would set up a air bubbler and get a few feeder shrimp /in a comfirtable temperature room (use dechlorinated water of course) and see if they immediately die... or live. That would be my first test.

After that if they seem to survive without odd illness. I might try some kind of fish which you are looking at getting, a couple healthy looking fish. Then try how it goes.

But rinse everything, every where you touched with cleaner thoroughly several times.

It is a tough time when one makes an error like that. But you are not alone in making mistakes, it happens to most everyone - the longer you keep fish the larger number of errors one learns by.

Good luck keep up up to date on how it is going. As for the possible sacrificing of shrimp or fish in the testing progress, it is unfortunate but more so if you kill large numbers by not testing out the safety of the tank.

Really if you do a fishless cycle and a couple of good water changes should get rid of it. Windex isn't the worst thing ever. My kids decided to help me clean one day and they got windex in my tanks! I just did a couple of quick water changes and none of my fish even seemed to notice.

Back
Top Bottom