New Goldfish Behavior?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shana0310

Aquarium Advice Activist
I brought home a bouncy black baby veil tail this Friday. When I first brought him home he hid in the back on the bottom. Day 2 and 3, he's moved around a bit but pretty much stays facing the very back of the tank almost all the time. Is he stressed from the move? Any other typical behaviors I should look for?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1439171048.831262.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

BTW...He is one of 3 small goldfish in a 20 gallon. I have a 50 gallon I bought when I bought him. But obviously it's not cycled yet. Water parameters are...

PH - 7.2

Ammonia - 0

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - 5

I would give him at least two weeks to settle in. I have noticed different goldfish will settle at different rates - my sulkiest fish, Jasper, took about 1.5-2 weeks to recover from the move and settle in, while my more outgoing goldfish only took days.

I would keep any aquarium lights off and the tank area nice and quiet while he settles.

Plants and decorations will give him little hiding spots while he becomes accustomed to his new home :)

Thanks! I feel bad moving him to the new tank. Seems wrong to let he grow accustomed to this one only to move him.

Thanks again! They're river rock I bought from a landscaping company. 5 any size for $10. They are just raw, not treated, never used rock. I love them.

Back
Top Bottom