new goldfish has ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Benjamin100

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So my new fish has ich, and what looks like the early stages of fin rot- it would have been nice if the girl in the pet shop today had noticed/cared.

I've stuck a heater in the tank and i'm going to very slowly bring the temperature up.
I'm also going to start adding aquarium salt to the tank- but I'm not really sure how much, and also how to go about water changes, and how frequently to add the salt.

Would anybody be able to help, feeling pretty sorry for myself at the moment

So my new fish has ich, and what looks like the early stages of fin rot- it would have been nice if the girl in the pet shop today had noticed/cared.

I've stuck a heater in the tank and i'm going to very slowly bring the temperature up.
I'm also going to start adding aquarium salt to the tank- but I'm not really sure how much, and also how to go about water changes, and how frequently to add the salt.

Would anybody be able to help, feeling pretty sorry for myself at the moment

I wouldn't use heat- not only will it stress what is a cold water fish, but fin rot is a bacterial problem which will get worse, not better, with increased temps. If you are able to get back to the store I would exchange it if I were you. If you can't, then I would try salt and lots of water changes to keep the water pristine.

Can you please provide us with some more information? Tank size? Stocking? Parameters? Pics will help as well.

Fin rot is generally caused by poor water quality- addressing this should be your first concern. Ich can be safely treated in goldfish with .3% salinity. Raising the temps will only further stress a coldwater fish and make the fin rot worse as Cactuspixie correctly stated :))). Once water quality issues are addressed, we can explain the proper method for using salt to treat ich (if this is what you truly have).

Back
Top Bottom