New goldfish not eating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquaplantfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
Got a new goldfish medium size temp73•f 30gal
The fish won't eat for two days I don't understand why.

30g long
Eheim 2213
Eheim 2215
Med size gravel
Lightly planted all over the tank (live plants)
Temp 73f
T8 light for 8 hours
50% weekly water change deviated in two days a week WC.

I really care for my two oranda no sign of sickness, please help me understand why he won't eat.

Food:
Hakari Pallets
Vegi flakes
Frozen blood worms (every water change once a week).

If I'm missing anything for my to do list please feel free to add.

Thank you!

He may be stressed from the move, you could try leaving the lights off for a little longer for a few days. No signs of ich or other illnesses? If so, I would give him a little time.

He may be stressed from the move, you could try leaving the lights off for a little longer for a few days. No signs of ich or other illnesses? If so, I would give him a little time.

No sign of illness, he just chews on the gravels and swims around and stays in one corner at the bottom that has a O shape plants all around.

I'll follow what you say and reduce the light timer.

Thank you...

Also i just got a 50 gal for 1 more oranda (ttl 3) and want to switch everything over do you know what would be the process because I didn't do my first water change for the week thinking I'll add water to the 50gal. I guess I'll add 30% more water?

Thanks a lot...

Turn light off for one day to help him acclimate to new environment. Wait a bit, maybe he's doing like when I bought my clownfishs, they didn't eated nothing for 1 week. Now they're always hungry.

Your filtration is perfect for goldfishs. Don't add heater, keep temperature coldest possible, goldfish live in coldwater.

Sometime when you change a fish diet, it won't recognize the new food as food. So you'll have to wait it become very hungry, then he'll eat anything he find, and he'll overtime associate your fish food as food.

If you feed it and he don't eat, don't feed him more by thinking he just didn't saw the food.

He could just be stressed from the move this is regular for fish to do. Mine did that just leave off the light and let them get use to there new home. Are they hiding if they are they are stressed... Or scared being in a new home that's how people are to scared being in a. New home.

Sent from my HP 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I found the same thing when I rescued some fantails (poor little guys). It took a few days and experimenting with different types of food (flakes, sinking pellets and floating pellets).

I made the mistake of trying to feed them every day (they were very thin). I ended up with very messy water, and it took many water changes to get things right :-(

BTW - I forgot to mention - I finally got the fish to eat with the food they recognised (I contacted the previous owner). Since then, I have gradually introduced new foods, usually sprinkled in at first with the foods they are familiar with.

I am certain your fish will come around - do let us know how they get on :)

Yay, your fish was just stressed of the move and not familliar with the new food.

Happy for you that everything is going good !

Back
Top Bottom