New Goldfish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

landon_garcia

Aquarium Advice Regular
My feeder goldfish "Cheddar" Passed away yesterday after a long nine years yesterday. He was living two other feeders in a 20g tank (I know its too small for 3 fish but it worked.). I want to get another one and i dont know if my goldfish would be too aggressive toward the new one because they are also nine years old. Whats your opinion?

Can you mix fancy goldfish with comets like Black Moors?

What other fish could I add if a new goldfish wouldn't work?

Thanks!

My two cents? Three goldfish in a 20 gallon is three too much. Those feeders get really big and should be in a pond. Of all my fancies, there's only one that has stayed petite enough that I might consider putting it in a 20 gallon, but I still wouldn't do that for long. Regarding aggression - goldfish are generally peaceful fish, I doubt there would be any problems introducing a new fish in a properly sized environment.

Fancies and comets shouldn't be together. The comets will out compete the fancies for food. Also, if there was any spawning behavior, male comets would likely pummel a female fancy.

I honestly would not add anymore fish, especially fancies. Two common goldfish in a 20g is already beyond capacity for such a small tank. I personally would not keep any goldfish in a 20g with the exception of quarantine purposes and fry. A fancy will have a very difficult time housed with commons in general but in this situation is definitely not advisable. You will also be risking the health of your present fish by introducing a new fish of any type that has not been properly quarantined. Rather than looking at new fish, you may want to consider looking into your options for a larger home for the two commons you presently have. Craigslist and yard sales are inexpensive options as well as the $1/g sales that chain stores hold often. :)

I actually am getting a 500 gallon pond in my backyard in about a month. I will move the goldfish into it when i get it and convert the 20 gallon into something else!

I have 6 fancys ranging from 1inch to 4 inchs, two corys and a pleco in my 30 gal. They are super super super happy fish. They eat pellets and mealworms daily. I do a 70 percent water change once a week and have a filter big enough for a 75 gallon on my tank. When they get bigger I will obviously move them to my 55gal nut they have been in this tank together for over 6 months and love it! Good luck with yours!

Sent from my SM-T210R using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1401439174297.jpg
    1401439174297.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 65
Six fancies alone are going to need a lot more than a 55 gallon. And a whole lot more filtration. I would NEVER keep a pleco with goldfish.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom