New green terror just tried to jump out...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swifty

Aquarium Advice Freak
...and he's got a white bump on his head now. I was asleep, heard a splash and a light thud, and when I came into the room the water was waving side to side and noticed the small white spot right away.

He's about 6", and I read that terrors like to jump so I limited any open area as much as possible. I think he bumped it on the black plastic fluorescent hood fixture. He seems to be missing 1-2 scales on his forehead where he bumped it.

What can I do? Will he heal from this naturally? Do I up the water changes? Or do I need medications?

I'm planning on getting a glass top on the weekend or next week so if he tries it again he won't scrape himself on anything.

To help heal use clean water, then some more clean water, and did i mention clean water? If it gets seriously worse medication may need to be used. But for now I'd recommend plenty of water changes with clean water... ;)

Is every other day enough or should I do daily?

He's pretty big, so although it's just 1 scale that he's missing on the forehead it's about 1 cm or so in diameter. I'm treating some wood right now so I've yet to add my anubias to the tank, so I think the salt may be a option, although I hope it doesn't reach that.

To help heal use clean water, then some more clean water, and did i mention clean water? If it gets seriously worse medication may need to be used. But for now I'd recommend plenty of water changes with clean water... ;)

+1 on clean water.

I think everyone may be overreacting a little. A few missing scales is not a whole lot to worry about. Increase your water change schedule to keep the water clean but don't start adding meds or salt unless the round gets progressively worse. I've had fish bounce back after serious butt whoopings with no treatment at all.

cbourg746 said:
I think everyone may be overreacting a little. A few missing scales is not a whole lot to worry about. Increase your water change schedule to keep the water clean but don't start adding meds or salt unless the round gets progressively worse. I've had fish bounce back after serious butt whoopings with no treatment at all.

Agreed. This doesn't sound like anything serious. Scales go flying every time I introduce a new fish and they all look normal again in a few days. I've seen some large gouges on my Oscar when he spooks himself and they heal nicely with no intervention.

He's starting to heal up rather nicely. The small white patch is a lot smaller than the other day. I've done 1 water change since his injury so he should recover.

I was just a bit worried because I'm used to fin damage, but that was the first time I experienced body/scale damage.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom