New Guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocminpin

Aquarium Advice Addict
I went and got 2 new guppies (one was a replacement)... A leopard tail and this orange tailed one here. Is there a name for it or just orange tail?
Both are quite preggo and ready to go any second :)

image-3156784111.jpg

image-3159058592.jpg

It's kind of hard to tell until your babies get their colors. I've bred and raised several tanks full of guppies. Part of the fun is in the wonder and anticipation of what the result might be.

Yes, they look pretty close to dropping. Let us know how it goes.

How will you keep the mothers from eating the fry?

Skunky said:
Yes, they look pretty close to dropping. Let us know how it goes.

How will you keep the mothers from eating the fry?

As soon as I notice fry I move to my 20g... If it's during day or evening and I catch the birth in progress I move them as they're born.

Aces11 said:
Very pretty guppies! Hopefully you get fry that are equally colorful!

The picture is of the same Guppy :-D
Didn't get pic of the other one... She was swimming too frantically..

ocminpin said:
The picture is of the same Guppy :-D
Didn't get pic of the other one... She was swimming too frantically..

Oh :) well either way, she is quite a beauty

Keep us informed with pics. I miss breeding guppies.

After looking at your pics again, I think it's possible it might be a few days, yet. Yes, her abdomen is quite enlarged (lots of fry?) but it doesn't have that angular, squared-off look that precedes birth.

I hope I'm proved wrong, and she drops tonight! I know how exciting it is.

Skunky said:
Keep us informed with pics. I miss breeding guppies.

After looking at your pics again, I think it's possible it might be a few days, yet. Yes, her abdomen is quite enlarged (lots of fry?) but it doesn't have that angular, squared-off look that precedes birth.

I hope I'm proved wrong, and she drops tonight! I know how exciting it is.

The other day I had a skinnier one pop that wasn't plump or square but had the dark gravid spot. Drives me crazy they're so varied lol

I am new to breeding guppies but with a closer look i do believe im seeing some round tail. I also feel that if we could see another pic we could possibly determine an estimated time for pregnancy. Seeing the gravid spot would definately help. Also i too am curious as to what the fry will look like, concidering you just got them and did not breed yourself. Do you know what the daddy looked like?

GuppieStudent said:
I am new to breeding guppies but with a closer look i do believe im seeing some round tail. I also feel that if we could see another pic we could possibly determine an estimated time for pregnancy. Seeing the gravid spot would definately help. Also i too am curious as to what the fry will look like, concidering you just got them and did not breed yourself. Do you know what the daddy looked like?

Looking now, both of them have completely squared off in the last 12 hours...
Both had really big gravid spots spread all the way to the vent when I got them.

I have no idea what Father looked like on either... They were all together in the "fancy female guppy" tank...

Well if in the past twelve hours then within the next twelve hours you should be having babies. ??

Be sure you have plenty of extra tanks. In three weeks after the fry are visible and you are able to determine the gender, switch the male fry to one tank and the females to the other. If you need any other help please feel free to contact me.

I'm not really concerned about separating sexes. I've never done it with my Molly or Platy Fry. I sell them on Craigslist or to my LFS. They are generally put in with males at that point anyway.

Well the main concern with fish especially guppies that you do not have much knowledge of the geneology of is the risks of inbreeding dangers such as hernias in the fish, low fertility rate, and spinal conditions that could be deadly to the fish. So this is why i reccomend seperating the males and females. Again you do not know how far back they have been inbred. These fry very well could breed and result in all these dangerous harmful factors. Im just watching out for the safety of the fish. Where in the US are you. Please tell me you have more concern for the little gups. If you do plan on leaving them in the same tanks i would be more than happy to take a trio off of your hands. Again thank you.

GuppieStudent said:
Well the main concern with fish especially guppies that you do not have much knowledge of the geneology of is the risks of inbreeding dangers such as hernias in the fish, low fertility rate, and spinal conditions that could be deadly to the fish. So this is why i reccomend seperating the males and females. Again you do not know how far back they have been inbred. These fry very well could breed and result in all these dangerous harmful factors. Im just watching out for the safety of the fish. Where in the US are you. Please tell me you have more concern for the little gups. If you do plan on leaving them in the same tanks i would be more than happy to take a trio off of your hands. Again thank you.

I'm in Southern California.
Of course I care about them.
I understand what you're saying. I was to understand from what I've read on here that it takes approximately six generations to have any deformities to appear.
I was only able to save 2 fry from a guppy's drop the other day. I hope I'll be able to save more from these two females.

Thats what im saying since you didnt breed her personally you dont know how far back inbreeding goes with her

Orange tail didn't make it... She was huge vent dilated and just got bigger and her body more white and after laying on the gravel a few hours she died :-(

The Leopard tail gave birth and I'm starting a thread on that now... Titled: My 1st Guppy Batch

Back
Top Bottom