New Guy...just upgraded my tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BassSoLow

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just wanted to take a minute to say hello to everyone. I just joined the forum.

For Christmas, my wife bought me a 10 gallon tank, and I loved it so much that I upgraded yesterday to a 29 gallon.

The place I go, Aquatic Wildlife in Connecticut, is amazing. Very helpful staff and have yet to steer me wrong.

I do have one question on my new tank...

I took everything from my 10 gallon and transferred it...gravel with bacteria already added previously, live plants, and so on.

Given that I have a 10 gallon tank before, as I understand, I need to let the 29 gallon tank cycle.

How ling will this typically take before I can add some more fish?

It's a big tank for only 6 fish!

Thanks!

If the 10 gal was cycled and you moved the filter (or the filter media) from the 10 gal to the new tank, it should stay cycled for the fish you have now. Sometimes a mini-cycle can happen when transferring so it's good to test the water for a few days to be sure. If ammonia and nitrite stay at 0, then you can start adding more fish. Do it slowly though and test the water daily and do extra water changes if anything spikes; the bacteria will need to adjust to the new load and that can cause a mini-cycle sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom