New Guy Needing Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm just a newbie myself, but as I understand it, water from a healthy tank may be great, "well conditioned," but the bacteria you're trying to establish by conditioning your tank actually live on aquarium surfaces: filter media is prime, and to a lesser extent, rocks/gravel, due to lower surface area. According to the article (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articles/articles/23/1/Tips-and-tricks-for-your-fastest-fishless-cycle/Page1.html), the best gift your friend could offer would be some well used filter media—that would give your cycling a big boost.

Again, just my 2¢
HeyMikey

Mikey is correct. Very little beneficial bacteria are actually in the water column.

With that said, if you are very sure the tank water you were offered is of very high quality (0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and very low or no nitrates) and is disease a parasite free, the addition of filter media from the friend's tank into your filter will definately speed up or even complete the cycling process.

A healthy amount of substrate from the other tank will also speed up the cycling process. If the other substrate would not look good or is of a different type than yours, you can add it to your aquarium until the cycle is complete by containing it in a cup, bowl, wrapped in pantyhose or any other safe containment method.

The substrate can also be added to your filter (contained in pantyhose or other bagging method) instead of traditional filter media.

The water he gave me was actually out of his filter.

I tested the water and all is well. He has had his fish for a long time and has been keeping fish since he was my age.

He is in the process of moving and gave me his filter (has a reserve tank on it or something) and told me to pour that water into a bowl to let if settle in there and then skim the top gross stuff off and use the clear water under that.

He said that has the bacteria I need.

I am glad to hear, so far, that this will be a nice method of setting the tank up.

He said to let the filter run for 24 hours before fish still.

That water will not work. Especially sitting with no ammonia to feed the bacteria it will die in a short time. The media will work, the water will not.

It hasn't sat. I saw him disconnect the filter and I have added some water right away. He also said it doesn't take long for the water in the filter to die away. But if poured it out like he showed me- it goes through the filter and it collects some bacteria.

Water from a cycled tank will not cycle another tank even from another filter, As said above, It would be best for him to give you some filter media.

As far as the live bamboo in your tank, I would not advise on having it at all. Bamboo plants will grow its roots into your tanks silicone and make the tank leak, leaving you to get some more silicone or a new aquarium.

Tyler

Hey folks,

Wanted to drop in and give you all an update.

I have a tank with fish!

I ended up getting a couple of fancy Male guppies. They are rather small now and were pretty happy that I saved them from their over crowded tank at the pet store.

I also come with a couple more questions-

I am need of a tank cleaning. How do I go about doing this? Leave the fish in? Take them out?

Do I fill the tank with tap water? Someone told me distilled works best when doing a 50/50 water change.

How do I get the waste out of the gravel bottom?

Also. I bought a cave like rock structure before I got the little guys, and noticed they never go into it. Anyone have a reason? Also, feeding these suckers. Twice a day sufficient for male guppies? I am using flakes.

Thanks!

-Jacob

Congrats on the new fish!

You will need to do a 25-50% water change once a week, Gravel vaac also (gets the waste out), but Im assuming that you will need a smaller vaac for a smaller tank, Heres a great one I use for my 6.6 gallon betta tank:Ultra Stretch Self Start Mini Gravel Vac

There is no need to take the fish out as long as you dont drain all the water from the aquarium.

Distilled or Tap will do fine (make sure to dechlorinate tap though). I prefer to use tap so I dont have to go out and guy distilled.

Twice a day is fine for them, just dont overfeed.

Tyler,

That mini gravel vac will be nice.

Will the fish be fine with the temp change from me adding the distilled water?

Thanks for all the advice. (+rep)

-Jacob

I would let the distilled water sit in the room to excide to room temp, then slowly pour in the water.

Don't use distilled water...just use dechlorinated tap. Distilled water is devoid of minerals that fish need to osmoregulate.

I think I may have asked this once...

But how would you dechlorinate tap water?

With this tank being an open top tank that I am heating, plus with the fountain style filter- My water level drops a lot every day. So to have a store of clean water to add daily would also be nice.

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks,
Jacob

You buy a de-chlorinator, like SeaChem Prime, and following the dosing instructions on the bottle.

The most recommend dechlorinator is Prime, from Seachem. It's a quality product, and quite concentrated. A 500ml bottle treats 20,000 liters of water.

Hey guys.

Wanted to give an update and ask a question.

I have three male guppies that are happy little fish.
Just the other day I bought 3 ghost shrimp.
There are three living plants and happiness all around.

I did a partial water change today and tested my water. (I have the highly recommended Master Test kit for fresh water.)

My water has a High pH level- above 7. What causes high pH and do I need to change that for happy living?

Nitrite and Ammonia levels are the two main levels I should be concerned about right? If they get High that means I need to do a water change and maybe get a product to lower the levels. Right?

Do I need to be concerned about chlorine levels?

Also, I bought some freeze dried Brine Shrimp that the guppies LOVE!
Do I need to do anything for the shrimp? Or are they pretty much self sustaining.

I also have been buying a gallon of distilled water for every take change I have been doing and adding a gallon to help fill the tank and make sure I am not adding bad c**p into the water. Is this okay?

Thanks for all the help guys. Love the tank.

-Jacob

1) PH between 6-8 is generally nothing to worry about. More important is keeping the PH stable.

2) Ammonia and Nitrite you want to keep below 0.25ppm. In a properly cycled tank they should remain zero. They are toxic to fish at levels higher then 0.25ppm. Nitrate becomes toxic above 50ppm. Weekly water changes usually take care of nitrates, but a reading of more then 40ppm and a PWC is recommended.

3) If you use a proper dechlorinator like Prime then chlorine is not an issue.

4) Brine shrimp are generally considered a treat, not much food value.

5) Distilled water is fine for topping off losses due to evaporation. For your weekly water changes you want to use tap water with a proper dechlorinator. The reason is tap water has minerals and buffers that help the PH remain stable and supplys your fish with trace elements. If you have bad tap water (high nitrites/nitrates, bad PH, or other problems) you can try mixing tap water and distilled.

My water has a High pH level- above 7. What causes high pH and do I need to change that for happy living?

Leave pH alone. Everyones tap water has a different pH. As long as you don't change it and keep it stable it will be fine. Well, as long as it's not outrageously high like 9..

Nitrite and Ammonia levels are the two main levels I should be concerned about right? If they get High that means I need to do a water change and maybe get a product to lower the levels. Right?

You should be monitoring ammonia, nitrite, AND nitrate. Ammonia and nitrite are more potent, and need to be under 0.25 ppm. Nitrate needs to be under 20 ppm. Unless it's like, a filter media, I'd say don't add anything besides Prime conditioner.

Do I need to be concerned about chlorine levels?

Well, yes. You should be de-chlorinating before adding water to the tank (but distilled water shouldn't have chlorine...). If you're registering chlorine levels, you might want to dose a de-chlorinator to the entire volume of the tank. And also consider another water source if, in fact, you do find chlorine in your distilled water.

-----------------

Edit: Dang it Deep Seven.. Beat me to it. :(

Thanks to both of you.

Well, yes. You should be de-chlorinating before adding water to the tank (but distilled water shouldn't have chlorine...). If you're registering chlorine levels, you might want to dose a de-chlorinator to the entire volume of the tank. And also consider another water source if, in fact, you do find chlorine in your distilled water.

I am not concerned about the distilled having Chlorine- but my tap water.

All my levels, except the pH were at the recommended levels.

Do I need to do anything for my ghost shrimp?

Also, I feed my guppies once to twice a day. But I am leaving for a week around spring break. Any advice for feeding them while I am gone?

THANKS!
-Jacob

Okay. Time for some possible stupid questions.

1. Do I ever need to do a FULL water change?

2. I have three Ghost Shrimp now- (a) Do I need to feed them? What would be good for them if yes? (b) Do I need to be removing their shedded exoskeleton right away?

3. Do all Ghost shrimp need brackish water to breed? How big do Ghost shrimp get?

Thanks!

-Jacob

1. Do I ever need to do a FULL water change?

A full water change isnt really necessary unless dealing with a huge amount of ammonia or nitrite. Really, 25-50% water changes everyday would even fix an ammonia/nitrite in a matter of time.

2. I have three Ghost Shrimp now- (a) Do I need to feed them? What would be good for them if yes? (b) Do I need to be removing their shedded exoskeleton right away?

Its always good to feed the shrimp at least 3-5 times a week. They will except flakes, Shrimp pellets, and algae wafers. When not feed, they will scavenge around the aquarium eating left-overs and even eating fish poop (lol)

3. Do all Ghost shrimp need brackish water to breed? How big do Ghost shrimp get?
There are many different glass shrimp labeled as 'ghost shrimp' and most will breed in brackish water. Ghost shrimps generally get 1-2 inches.

Back
Top Bottom