New guy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqua dude18

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello :) I own a 4ft 280 litre tropical freshwater tank and a 3 1/2 ft 190L tank I love cichlids catfish and plecs.

Attachments

• image-3264205990.jpg
    image-3264205990.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 74
Thanks :) I'm not to sure on whether to start a live coral marine setup but seeing as I only have experience with the freshwater tropical I need some advice on how to start and the best way to do it

Thanks. I want to redo the layout so there's more territory's for the cichlids but have enough room for the plec to swim around. Ideas are welcome or should I leave it how it is?

Aqua dude18 said:
Thanks. I want to redo the layout so there's more territory's for the cichlids but have enough room for the plec to swim around. Ideas are welcome or should I leave it how it is?

If it was me id re do it but that's because mine gets changed every couple months. Well some would tell you I change it every month but I don't think I do lol I know I know its hard to keep yourself from touching it lol. But it looks great the way it is imo

Lol ok I used to do that but I always find something I'm not totally happy with but since I've learnt that it's better not to have things symmetrical and have them at angles I'm starting to get there.

Aqua dude18 said:
Lol ok I used to do that but I always find something I'm not totally happy with but since I've learnt that it's better not to have things symmetrical and have them at angles I'm starting to get there.

Me too lol
I think I've finally found a winner on mine tho so it may just make it several months. With african Cichlids its not a bad idea to re arrange every once and awhile anyway

Yeh, I've just had a look at you setup and I'd love to have a tank like that. I like the idea off having a big open space and then the sort of rock hill to the side full of spaces and hide outs. I suppose it's the advantage of having a bigger tank. What rocks do you use and what cichlids would be good to start off with because I have my blue dolphins and my green terror plus a pair of jewel cichlids so its a bit of a crazy mix lol

Aqua dude18 said:
Yeh, I've just had a look at you setup and I'd love to have a tank like that. I like the idea off having a big open space and then the sort of rock hill to the side full of spaces and hide outs. I suppose it's the advantage of having a bigger tank. What rocks do you use and what cichlids would be good to start off with because I have my blue dolphins and my green terror plus a pair of jewel cichlids so its a bit of a crazy mix lol

The dolphins if they are what I'm thinking of get to big to be in there and shouldn't be mixed with the others. A jewel cichlid is an african river fish unlike the blue dolphin where its a african rift cichlid. A green terror shouldn't be with them either because its a new world cichlid.

So you have a lot of options but you'll need to decide on this

African rift Cichlids
African riverine Cichlids
New world Cichlids

Once you figure that out your going to need to re home some of those fish. Then get ones that do mix. Their are a lot of newbies that go the cichlid route. They just ask more questions then people that started out with say tropical fish

I should be upgrading within the next 3 to 5 months so the fish I have now will go in the bigger tank then il move which ever type of fish to the current tank I have now and decide on a biotope. It's just the trouble with decided which one. And the pros and cons of each type if there is any.

You'll need 3 tanks to keep all of those fish. 1 being over 5' long(dolphins), one being a 55 (green t.) and one a 40 breeder (jewel) I believe.

The jewel and the dolphin may get along but their water requirements are different.

Last edited:
I'm not keeping all of them, I'm trying to sell and re home a lot of them so il be left with my plecs, catfish and the cichlids and then go from there and see why my options are. I have many years ahead of me so it can always be a project for me later on in life but thanks for the advice. I'm already breeding the blue dolphins and the jewel cichlids have attempted to breed a few times.

Back
Top Bottom