New guy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

YellowTang03

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys!,
My name is Brandon. I currently have a 40 gallon breeder tank with about 40 lbs of live rock and I am using a cascade 1500 canister filter. It currently has a small yellow tang(i know that is not a big enough tank but I am getting to that lol), red strip high fin goby, 2 false percula clowns, one small 6 line wrasse and a peppermint shrimp, bubble tip anemone, and crabs and snails. I am wanting to get a 75 gallon tank and set that up. Would that be big enough for my fish? I am adding alot more live rock to it also. Thanks

In my opinion, I think a Yellow Tang needs a tank around 125g, which is a six foot tank. Six foot tanks provide them with the swimming room they need. ;)

Ok thanks! The tang is a beautiful fish...what would you suggest for my 40 gallon breeder if i decide to keep it? My stock is like said: 2 false percula clowns, 1 6 line wrasse, 1 peppermint shrimp, 1 bubble tip anemone, 1 red stripe high fin goby, 10 astera snails, 10 red legged hermit crabs, 40 lbs of live rock, 60 lb of fiji pink sand(white), marineland heater, casecade 1500 filter, coming in the mail a aqua c protein skimmer with a maxi jet 1200 pump. I would like to make it have really neat fish but dont want to go with a 125 gallon lol..no where to put it. Thanks everyone! Oh I also have a nice cree aquarium LED light fixture with adjustable ballast for lighting.

Unless your sump is twoce the size of your tank the tang will most likely die pre maturely if u keep it. Just take it to ur lfs for a trade in.

If it is understocked it deffinately be better. I have a 6ft long 90 gallon that would be perfect for tangs, but i cant afford to change it to saltwater lol

Yea I hear ya lol. I have a 60 gallon long I am gonna use for them for now till I can afford a bigger tank like 90 gallon.

Maybe if u really want a tang... Id wait it out. 60 gallons doesnt give u much more options then a 55 or 40. If u havent cycledbor anything yet, maybe CL it sell what u can to buy a bigger tank.. Cause your gunna want it within a year i gaurantee that. My ten gallon was Only 2 months old before i tore it down and upgraded to a 40 lol

I currently hav efish in my 40 gallon breeder and the tang is in there also. He is about 2" long..very healty...eats like crazy! lol....I am sure I will have a bigger tank soon. The 60 long also has a 55 gallon sump.

yea its my buddys and he was gonna give it to me but I dont think it will work. It is 48"longx24" wide x 12" tall. Basically a 120 cut in half. I am just gonna leave them in the 40 gallon for now seeing how the tang is so small and start my new 75 gallon here soon hopefully.

seems like you cant really have any cool fish without having to spend thousands on a tank...I like clowns and stuff but even a angel is to big for a 55-up except a flame angel...sucks lol.

Ah sorry to hear! Hopefully they dont grow to quickl!!

You could always go used tank.. Or sell some of urs, i know here in ontario i can go to big als and get a 120 corner for about 900 with stand and canopy.

Yea I really like the 40 gallon breeder...neat tank for what they are. I may just trade the tang in and suck up my loss haha. I dont know if I wanna spend thousands right now. I can still make a cool saltwater tank out of the 40 for now though.

Thats exactly what my reef is and its superb and im nowhere near done !

Back
Top Bottom