New here-- Having a problem with mini heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LeeJC

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi All, I'm completely new to owning fish. I got a betta about 6 weeks ago and everything is going great. My betta is in a 3.5 gallon tank with low-flow under-gravel filter, LED lights and plants.

I kept reading that I needed a heater. So I got one. I turned it on yesterday for the first time and I think I almost killed my fish. He was just laying there after several hours of having the heater on. I unplugged it and he was fine this morning. I guess I need a thermometer? Shouldn't the mini heater self regulate temperature?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Attachments

• Ares.jpg
    Ares.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 51
Most "mini heaters" don't have a internal temperature regulator and are just set to be on 24/7. This means that if you have too strong of a heater it'll literally cook your fish. I recommend a high quality heater with adjustable temperature, like ones by Cobalt. I believe they're called Cobalt Neo-Therm heater. They're more expensive, but way more reliable.

Thank you for responses!

I appreciate your help. I think you're both right about this heater. There is no place to set temp. You would think it would have an auto shut-off at 80 degrees or something. I went ahead and ordered a thermometer today. I think my next purchase will be a good heater! Thanks again.?

Update: I ordered a 25 watt Cobalt heater with a temp control on it. I'm just afraid with winter coming my Betta will get too cold. I will monitor temp with thermometer. Any suggestions on temp setting? I'm thinking 78. Thanks.

Sweet! Tell me how you like the heater!

I think 78 will be fine. I do think you should change the temperature over the year though. Like, during winter bit lower and during summer keep it higher.

Back
Top Bottom