New here. Need help with my gourami.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mumma.of.two said:
Does it have any sharp edges? Check that. HITH (hole in the head) is exactly what it sounds like. Holes in the head. I don't think you have to worry about that :)
He shouldn't die from it. Clean water and a little aquarium salt will help him heal.
Look up how to acclimate fish on YouTube.

Again, thank you! I will look on YouTube.

So Mr. Gourami is doing pretty good today! He is not in his jug hiding, and he swam to the surface for the first time! Also, he ate a few bites of food today as it was slowly drifting towards the tank floor. I've seen him swimming around a few times today. He still goes to the bottom to rest but overall his is much more active than he was a few days ago. And he's pooping. That's got to be a good sign.

im not a exspert but i wouldnt be putting guppys in with your gourami. As i have dont that before and my gouramis ate and hurassed my guppys and other smaller fish.

I would just keep an eye out for aggression. It might work. Glad to hear he's improving. Just keep up on the water changes.

I took a sample of water to petco today to have it tested. Ammonia nitrates and nitrites were all ok but the ph was high. She asked how much I fed. I've been feeding once a day but he hasn't eaten until today so she suggested I do a 25% water change and try to get out as much food from the gravel as possible. Does that sound right to you guys?

Bearchumjs said:
I took a sample of water to petco today to have it tested. Ammonia nitrates and nitrites were all ok but the ph was high. She asked how much I fed. I've been feeding once a day but he hasn't eaten until today so she suggested I do a 25% water change and try to get out as much food from the gravel as possible. Does that sound right to you guys?

When they said ok was that tested with strips by any chance? What was the pH? You shouldn't mess with the pH at all. A stable pH is better than a chemically altered one that can fluctuate.
U would do a 50% water change and gravel vac. You should do a 50% everyday IMO because you don't have a test kit.

Mumma.of.two said:
When they said ok was that tested with strips by any chance? What was the pH? You shouldn't mess with the pH at all. A stable pH is better than a chemically altered one that can fluctuate.
U would do a 50% water change and gravel vac. You should do a 50% everyday IMO because you don't have a test kit.

It was with strips. I know they aren't as good as the other kind. I wasn't planning on adding any chemicals to balance out the ph . I'll do a 50% change and try and get the gravel cleaned up of any food that may be in there. I'll be ordering a API master test kit in the next week or 2.

Yes the API is great you get something like 250 tests out of 1 bottle. Guess its not spendy if you think of it like that but my fishys are like my kids now so it doesn't really matter:)

Update on Skeeter, the gourami:

He's doing really great! Swimming around and not hiding. Not stopping to rest like he was yesterday. He ate like a pig this morning! He is also not bothering the 2 little pond guppies. I'd say Skeeter is a happy fish now. :) I'm going to do a partial water change today.

Is 75degrees F okay for him? That's all the warmer his tank is. I moved the heater closer to the top where there is more current from the filter to see if that will help the heater make the tank warmer.

Well... I did a 50% water change today. I can't find the smallest guppy. I think she may have become lunch for the gourami. So there's that.

Bearchumjs said:
It was with strips. I know they aren't as good as the other kind. I wasn't planning on adding any chemicals to balance out the ph . I'll do a 50% change and try and get the gravel cleaned up of any food that may be in there. I'll be ordering a API master test kit in the next week or 2.

Amazon has the cheapest test kits! Only takes like 3 days to get it.

So... My gourami is acting rather sad again. I did a 50% water change yesterday and today he is blah. I took a sample of water to the store to get tested and the ammo was 0. Nitrates and trites were less than 20. (yes- paper strip tests.). PH was still a tad high. I also bought 3 live plants! I'm hoping that the plants will help make him happy. I'm planning on getting the API test kit on Thursday. Or at least order it on Thursday.

Nice my two gouramis will spit water and brush my hand when I put it in the water I love them hope yours gets to his normal self soon:)

Bearchumjs said:
Also- I've got my eye on a 29 gal tank with a stand. Mr gourami would live that!

Yes, a 29 gallon would be great. Keep up the water changes. Hopefully the tank will get cycled soon. If you get the 29 gallon, don't get rid of the filter media in your current tank. Transfer it to the new filter when you start that tank.

Back
Top Bottom