new here...please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chrisandjess

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi. joining here because my tank is in trouble. i started a 55g tank without knowing anything. i have about 20 cichlids, 3 plecos, and a blue lobster. the tank has ammonia levels through the roof, but the nitrite and nitrate levels are 0. how do i kick start the bio filter? oh yeah, the ph levels are 8.0 or higher. dont know for sure, the tester only goes that high. the tank has been going for 3.5 weeks. any advice? thanks for the help...

Hi welcome to the forum

i also have a 55g with as of today 10 cichlids. i rehomed 14 this morning as I was mis stocked.

So, if I were you i would do some serious water changes and get those ammonia levels down. the nitrites will kick in soon enough.

have you read the articles here on cycling with fish? Very helpful!

Oh and don't worry about the Ph, its supposed to be high for some cichlids. What kind of cichlids do you have?

all kind really... convicts, blood parrot, kenya, and some kind that starts with a v.... sorry im new....not good with names

i have just recently done homework on tank cycling. so because of my ammonia levels, i have done 50% water changes every other day. but the ammonia and ph levels remain the same....granted, i have only done two changes since joining this forum...

no...water changes that much will not restart your cycle, just lower the high levels of toxic ammonia and nitrite..the good bacteria lives in the substrate, filter media, and decorations, not in the water...

Ok first issue is the venustus. they can get to 14". LOL i am upgrading my 55g to a 125 just for them.

Second, you have a mix of new world and african cichlids. there is definitely a problem there.

other than that , yep water change your heart out and keep your ammonia level below .25. Its gonna take a while for the nitrites to show up but they will, I promise. LOL

Just wanted to give you a heads up on the fish. do you have any pics? cause if you got 20 you can probably keep a good bunch if they are compatible. It happens all the time dont feel bad. :)

I don't have experience with cichlids yet, so carey might be able to tell you if you are overstock or not.

If he's going for mbuna he cna have 20. But the mix is all wrong. i had the same thing happen to me. It really stunk having to give back 14 fish today but it had to be done. and the 125g for the giraffes is within reason. LOL No one told me how big they get either. I was shocked.

Crazy idea..Maybe go on craigslist and message some random person who lives near you if you can buy one of their established filters or gravel? Either that or or like 1000g of water changes in the next month.

can i just keep the nicest looking ones? instead of losing specific breeds. none have killed each other yet... they seem compatible. how many should i take out?

It really sucks, but You really do need to take out specific breeds. Once those guys reach sexual maturity and/or start claiming territory... That cute little convict ain't gonna be so cute anymore...

Im gonna need help with which to take out. i have convicts, kenyi, electric yellow, electric blue, 1 blood parrot, and the rest all came from an asst. african cichlid tank. some are solid colors (1 brown, 2 peach, 2 albino looking peach, 2 pale blue, 1 dirty yellow color). 2 with white and black stripes going from head to tail, with yellow bellies. And i believe a few are pindani.

Sorry, i know its a big list. But i have that many fish. Thanks for all the help.

Depends... Peaceful or aggressive tank? Your choice. And some pics of individual fish would help too.

I personally think the convicts and the yellow lab cichlids will work out as far as aggression. Yellow labs are not really aggressive compared to the convict and my convicts have never bothered them. I'm not so sure about the assorted Africans. It could be a hit or miss. IMO you should rehome them.

Back
Top Bottom