New Homemade Aquabridge Discovered by Gourami and Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fearlessfisch

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Bridge still has air bubbles clinging to the sides of it--they discovered it very quickly!

Attachments

• IMG_0693.jpg
    IMG_0693.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_0723.JPG
    IMG_0723.JPG
    203.8 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0802.JPG
    IMG_0802.JPG
    228.1 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0813.jpg
    IMG_0813.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 83
Thanks! I had been wanting to build a bridge for a long time. The first attempt leaked, but I was able to fix it. It's pretty rough looking up close, because I am messy with silicone, but you don't really notice the messiness too much in the water. It is fun to see the fish go through it. They really seem to like it and cross it many, many times a day. The gourami has been over it at least three times in the past hour. They also spend quite a bit of time just hanging out in the middle of the bridge and they come look at me through the glass when I stand nearby. I think it is a different way of seeing the world than they are used to!

Thanks for your comment about the aquascapes, too . The one on the left is still in very early stages. I am thinking of adding a railroad track to it, like in the post above this one. A lot of the plants in the forest scape (staurogyne repens, limnophila heterophylla, hydrocotyle japan, and dwarf sagittaria) came originally from Goatnad of this website and have grown really nicely.

Awesome!

Your Betta has way more room than alot of bettas around the world! How do you keep the flow down in such a big tank with a gouami? I had two just like yours and they were awesome!

Love your bold decision to make this! I have always enjoyed seeing these and also, the pond "bubbles" floating tanks, etc. (some are made in tanks as well but less often).

Goatnad is awesome!

Moss tree is very fun. I would do some additional stones in a variety of sizes, to make it seem more like a "real" landscape near your real moss tree!

Aren't tanks always a work in progress for a hobbyist?!?!

Wow....I lost track of this thread for awhile. Sorry for the late responses.

Fishlegend, I actually worry more about too little flow. The gourami does just fine in the tank, although right now he is grumpy because I have had to remove his bridge temporarily. It was so sad right after I took it out; he just circled repeatedly around where it had been.

Autumnsky, the bridge started leaking again! I was so proud of myself for building the thing instead of using PVC pipe (I wanted the flat surface on the sides for better viewing), but it turns out that I am just really, really bad at sealing with silicone. Right now the bridge is sitting next to the tanks, waiting until I have the time to dismantle it, sand it down, and reseal yet again--hopefully more successfully.

I do have a plan for the tanks, which involves putting in some larger rocks as you suggested above and incorporating the railroad theme I referenced in another post. However, life has intervened, and it will all have to wait for a bit. You are absolutely right that the tanks are always a work in progress...

Fun to hear that you're still "working" toward your goal. And yes always some kind of change being made or thought of / planned for!

Sorry to hear about the silicone issues. I would be scared unless I had a floor which wouldn't be damaged if I needed to do that. I am always so interested in the bubble / water column ponds and these bridges. Also sad the Gourami, missed his bridge. Hope you get time to repair it soon.

Make sure to report about how it goes!

Hey Fearlessfisch! Your bridge is inspiring!

It may not be your lack of skill with silicone that is the problem. I'm guessing you used acrylic, plexiglass or some type of plastic to make the bridge. When I was doing research on putting a divider in my tank to make a land area for my turtle, I ran across information several different places that silicone will NOT permanently stick to plastic (Thus I spent nearly $50 on a custom piece of tempered glass to use as a divider in my 75 g glass tank).

You would be better off using chemical solvents to bond the pieces of plastic.

Here's a link to an article about doing all sorts of stuff with Acrylic:

https://makezine.com/2015/10/29/skill-builder-acrylic/

good luck and let us know how it goes!

Autumnsky, I worry about the carpets and floors every day. I lucked into having a landlord who is an aquarium enthusiast, too, so he has never looked suspiciously at the multiple tanks in the house. But I do worry about keeping everything water-tight.

I got inspired by the responses here and started on some rockwork for the scape on the left, and also pulled out the railroad pieces again. Maybe a bit at a time. Current problem, besides the leaking bridge, is meager plant growth following an outbreak of Cladophora. The algae is under control now, but I need to make sure I am balancing everything so that it doesn't return and the plants can grow back. I recently added some pothos in the filter baskets in the back of the tanks, which I hope will help.

Cria, thanks so much for your thoughts. Actually, the bridge is made of 1/8" glass. It was cut at a hardware store, and the cuts are a bit rough. I think a big part of the problem was my inexperience in sealing and the order in which I siliconed the pieces together. Some of the most important, water-bearing seams were the last ones sealed, by which time it was difficult to reach inside the bridge to do them smoothly and evenly. I am rethinking the process of sealing everything so that the most important areas will get sealed first.

I'm looking forward to working on this project again. I was surprised and touched by how much the gourami really, really misses his bridge, so I'd like to get it up and working for him again soon.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom