New huge set up for me!! Many general questions!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpaceButler

Aquarium Advice Freak
Yo all. For X-mas, my father revealed that he was turning over an account he started years ago for me which has matured to $2500! I'm supposed to spend it on something fun, so I've decided to get a big tank, and not spare on quality and care.

If you've seen me post, you might remember I have two oscars in a 10 gallon that I was going to move to a 55, but with this money, and I can go for a 70-90 gallon. I'm sure some of you oscar fans will appreciate that. I'm thinking of turning my 10 gallon into a stylish home for a betta and some other tiny school of fish or something.

I want to start this new tank right, and I'd like any advice I can get. Tips for keeping a healthy tank, decorating ideas, possible tank mates while my oscars are still tiny, anything. There are some specifics that I'd like to discuss with an experienced aquarium keeper if I could though.

Topics such as: Fishless cycling; the best filter for oscars (I love the look of an under gravel, but I hear they're bad for messy oscars); the least stressful way to transfer my fish from the old tank; should I use my old gravel to cycle; how can I safely put my fish in about 80 gallons of new water; etc. I may have more questions as they come to me, and anything you think I should know, please bring to my attention.

I would love help from this online community to make this a wonderful tank. You've all already been so helpful, and with your help, I'm sure it'll be a success. I'll keep those interested posted with news and pictures (if anyone takes an interest that is).

I'm relatively new at aquaria, but I'm determined to make an attractive and flourishing fish tank.

TIA

EDIT: PS. Can someone inform me of the necessity of an airpump?

Wow SpaceButler, looks like you have something exciting to look forward to. It's great that you're planning ahead.

Here's what I would do.... Move the oscars to their new home along with the filter from their current tank. The filter is already seeded and has enough bacteria for the small bio load until your new filter(s) become established.

I use 2 cannister filters in my 125gallon. The look is unobtrusive and I alternate the cleaning of them. An air pump isn't needed but it doesn't hurt anything. You should get enough surface agitation from the proper placement of your filter outlfows for the fishes O2 needs.

HTH

I'd go for as big as you can afford. I went for a 125 gallon long tank, originally for 2 oscars and a pleco.. But then, I fell in love with my BGK.

My advice is to buy your filters first, and hang em on whatever tanks you have now...pre-seeding them. What will happen when you move the filters over is a biofilter die off. This is natural, since you will be diluting the ammount of ammonia over more gallons of water...it will take longer for the ammonia to build back up to a concentration that it was in your smaller tank. So don't be surprised by small ammonia/nitrite presence even when moving over already established filters. Get yourself some bio-spira for the perfect jump start.

Fishless cycling isn't necessary with established media. Its an "instant cycle". And, by purchasing the new tanks filters and hanging them on the old tank, you can keep the old filter on the old tank and re-stock it with something new.

Don't put any old water into your new tank...you'll only be transferring DOCs and TDS to your new tank. Use new water, and re-acclimate them to the bigger tank as if they were new from the store.

There are not many fish out there that will be able to "grow old" with your oscars. Plecos are usually the number one choice, since they stay at the bottom and are too big for oscars to munch on in a single bite. Although, I have a friend that has an oscar that's in with an Angel and get along just fine. It really depends on your fish's personality.

Good luck...have fun with the new tank!

Well I almost agree with you completely Friskey1 (welcome to the board :D )

The thing is nitrosoma reproduction is very slow. It would take a week to 10 days to seed a brand new filter. There will be some bacteria die off due to the increased water volume but the same would occur with a newly seeded filter. It's therefore likely that a mini cycle will take place no matter what, but given that small a bio load and that volume of water, it should be relatively stress free to the fish. :wink:

I highly recommend canister filters for larger tanks. A quick way to seed the way filter is to put some of the old gravel in one of the media baskets. Two little oscars will look lonely in a big tank, but they will grow fast. PM oscarbreeder if he doesn't pop on here and ask for his advice. He has a huge aquarium with a few oscars.

Dude! you've been haded over 2 grand and you are gonna spend it on fish! I like your style (y) . Quality filtration is cheap these days. A fluval 404 is like $90 online. The tank will outlast all your other accessories like the heater, filter, lights etc.., so use your windfall to get a primo tank. Look at the Oceanic tanks. A new Oceanic with the upgraded trim and a stand with nicer trim, and a canopy that matches could get up to a grand for the bigger tanks. If you want sump filtration, get one with the overflow boxes built in which would be great if you decide to switch to SW years later. You are one lucky guy!

Makes me quite jelious :twisted: !! I should save up some money and build my own tank, maybe a 300gallon :D!! one day I'll have ago and change to SW :p

Just think Space. For the same money as an outfitted 90 you could do 2 55 gals. Don't blame me, I have MTS bad. ( 8 tanks) :lol:

Back
Top Bottom