New jewel cichlids.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oscar98

Aquarium Advice Addict
Got some jewel cichlids today! Ya ik they are african but i really like them haha. And one was even pregnant! I think. What are they like when they are defending there eggs/fry? Are they good parents? Thanks!

Got some jewel cichlids today! Ya ik they are african but i really like them haha. And one was even pregnant! I think. What are they like when they are defending there eggs/fry? Are they good parents? Thanks!

They're GREAT parents and will kill or try to kill anything in the tank. They're the only fish I've owned that kills plecos (in a matter of hours).

And I don't know if you mistyped or if you're unaware that they're egg layers. She'll lay eggs (usually) on a flat rock.

Ok thanks. I ment when they are eggs then when they hatch and become free swimming. I can wait! They better not kill my salvini.

Ok thanks. I ment when they are eggs then when they hatch and become free swimming. I can wait! They better not kill my salvini.

I don't know anything about salvini, but I'd recommend moving it before she lays eggs. They're seriously mean as BLEEP when they spawn! OR...when she lays eggs take the rock out and scrape the eggs off.

Well salvins are known to be NASTY. The jewels are 1.5in the salvini is 2in it took me two months to find the salvini.

Then maybe it would be ok but I have a feeling that something is gonna get tore up. Good luck! and post pics ;)

Will do tom when i wake up haha. Its 1:30 am here and i cant sleep haha. Heres a pic of the salvini

Attachments

• image-988665468.jpg
    image-988665468.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 52
Wouldn't worry about the Jewels attacking the Salvini, probably be the other way round - Salvini are more than capable of holding there own, I hope it's a good sized tank though.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom