New Julidochromis transcriptus gombe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

charliebankston

Aquarium Advice Addict
25g set up yesterday with crushed coral substrate and an established hob filter from another tank. They are so small and skittish still its hard to see them, lol. Maybe later I'll get I'll get better pics20210101_092129.jpg20210101_094516.jpg

These guys are so little too. A skinny 2" or so. Tonight I roughly measured my biggest cichlids thru the glass. My green terror, biggest oscar and red tiger motaguense are about 8". My red devil was 7.5" and my blood parrot, black belt and smaller oscar are 7". The common pleco we inherited is 10". That makes it our biggest fish/poop machine

These guys are so little too. A skinny 2" or so. Tonight I roughly measured my biggest cichlids thru the glass. My green terror, biggest oscar and red tiger motaguense are about 8". My red devil was 7.5" and my blood parrot, black belt and smaller oscar are 7". The common pleco we inherited is 10". That makes it our biggest fish/poop machine

Geez, nice menagerie. Green terror is the fish I've been trying to remember. I saw one, briefly, at one the smaller (and best) LFS's out here years ago.

He's the widest. And he's the one that I think killed my 5" Salvini. But the motaguense is the meanest. He'll bite you every time your hand goes in the tank. And hard too! I use a tank divider and also wear gloves cuz he's got some nasty teeth. Same family as the wolf cichlid and jaguar cichlid

No remains of the Salvini? Spooky feeling isn't it? Nothing to say DAMM over or grieve, just an ugly mystery. I've you've never seen pacu teeth, try looking them up. You'll see why it was a weird blessing that I was able to touch my pacu. BTW, I respect you and your water MOJO even more knowing that you have "special" considerations (like trying to avoid being bitten).

No remains of the Salvini? Spooky feeling isn't it? Nothing to say DAMM over or grieve, just an ugly mystery. I've you've never seen pacu teeth, try looking them up. You'll see why it was a weird blessing that I was able to touch my pacu. BTW, I respect you and your water MOJO even more knowing that you have "special" considerations (like trying to avoid being bitten).
Haha! I used to have a pacu back 30 yes ago. The lfs i bought it at didn't tell me much about him, so I had it in a 20g and it eventually died. It wasn't until years later I was in Galveston at an aquarium and saw pacu in there as big as a dog that I realized how wrong I was. But that guy never gave advice, just wanted money. He never explained cycling to me etc. Can't imagine why he went out of business lol

Haha! I used to have a pacu back 30 yes ago. The lfs i bought it at didn't tell me much about him, so I had it in a 20g and it eventually died. It wasn't until years later I was in Galveston at an aquarium and saw pacu in there as big as a dog that I realized how wrong I was. But that guy never gave advice, just wanted money. He never explained cycling to me etc. Can't imagine why he went out of business lol

Before I rescued Alice, I read horror stories about people who had no idea what they were getting into, and weren't told at the LFS. If I recall even Walmart was into the weird looking piranha (pacu) retail craze for a while. I also read that pacu are becoming prized food fish due to their ability to withstand less than optimal water conditions in breeder pins. BTW, I'm being kind in my description of foreign fish pins. This is a family-friendly fish forum, right?

My first view of Alice was in a filthy "show tank" with a decrepit HOB that was never serviced before I started working there. She had a stand of hair-algae growing on her back (which infuriated me no-end).

As you might be able to tell, I'm a fiery anti-cruelty advocate. The difference in this case was that I was able to correct things directly.

Back
Top Bottom