New leaves are melting even with good lighting, CO2, and ferts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish4phil

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been a planted tank for a month now, tank setup for 5 months. Quick stats:

36G Community with Neons, Corys, 1 Bristlenose Pleco, Zebra Danios, Guppies, Snails, Frogs
Filter: Penn Plax Cascade 700
Plus Koralia nano 240
AquaticLife (2) T5HO bulbs @ 24 watts each, one of them Rosette, both 20" from the substrate
Light is on 10 hours a day
Eco-Complete
Pressurized CO2, drop checker is lime green, almost yellow after 10 hours

Plants: Marsilea Hirsuta for ground cover, 3 Anubia Nana, Ludwiga Glandulosa, Bacopa Carolina, Nesaea Golden, Weeping Moss, floating Amazon Frogbit

Dosing: EI using Mono Potassium Phosphate (1/16 teaspoon 3x week), Potassium Nitrate (1/4 teaspoon 3x week), Potassium Sulfate (1/16 teaspoon 3x week), Flourish Comprehensive (5mL 3x week on alternate days from Macros), 50% water changes every week

Results:
Bacopa Carolina very slow growth, after 4 weeks, only 4-5 inches tall
Nesaea Golden very slow growth, new leaves look wilted
Ludwiga Gladulosa very slow growth, roots coming out of stems, new leaves coming in green
Anubias: 2 of the 3 are flowing, some white spots on 1 leaf (see attached)
Weeping Moss: slight browning
Floating Amazon Frogbit: growing like crazy

Yesterday's Test Results:
I know these are off, but I don't think they show any deficiencies?
Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 50 (too high for fish, does this cause wilting?)
pH = 6.4
GH = 8
KH = 5
Phosphates = 15

I know my Nitrates & Phosphates are too high (especially the Nitrates for the fish), but can that cause what you're seeing in these pictures? At this time, I don't use GH Booster (I've always had GH 5-8, do I need GH Booster?). I also don't dose extra Iron or Magnesium, etc., not sure if I need to.

I have seen very very little growth, height wise, in the last 4 weeks, and new leaves of the Golden Nesaea are looking shriveled and appear to be wilting.

img_2902489_0_d6e8cdb37cea604ae049a1a4df4993d2.jpg

img_2902489_1_1c7903738bfd06d205762007e169b925.jpg

img_2902489_2_0539c891ea92a51a809f40c1e72e56d2.jpg

In my limited plant experience, the melting occurred due to transplanting. Either moving from one tank to another or from place to another within the same tank. This was especially so with my crypts. But they all bounced back looking even better.

That's good to know. How long does it take? It's been 4 and a half weeks now...

As I've said in other posts the Nesaea golden is transitioning into it immersed growth form. It is a very slow grower, period, even in high light, CO2, and dry fert dosing. Many people can't grow it as it can be a very difficult plant. I finally got rid of mine as it is too darn fussy. Not all plants do well in all tanks.

The Glandulosa will only red up under high lighting. You have medium lighting IMO. I grow this in my 220g very high light tank (metal halides, T5HO',s and LED) and the color is a dark maroon with pink center veins. Most can't achieve this color as lighting has to be intense. This plant is also slower growing and yours also appears from the look of the lower leaves to also have been grown emersed and is also transitioning to it immersed leaf growth.

Your ph is low so what is your kh and gh? You may need to get this The Ultimate GH Booster | Green Leaf Aquariums

I also suggest getting an API Gh and Kh test kit. Both tests come in one box. In a planted tank a Gh and Kh of 4 is desired. If lower than that plants may not get the magnesium and calcium they need.

My KH is 5 and GH is 8 (pretty consistent over the last 4 weeks). Do I still need the GH Booster? I guess I'm partially refusing to blame the slow grow plant, or the transition period, because it's been a month and because it' my first planted tank. I feel it's easier to blame something I'm doing, and try to fix it.

Is it a good idea to cut off all these wilting-looking leaves?

Before pressurized CO2, my pH was consistently 7.4.

I assume your taking your ph reading while the co2 is on? You know it is low during the time co2 is running and rebounds up at night. Your true ph reading can be gotten by testing for it in the morning before lights and co2 is turned on. Your kh and gh are fine.

The plants don't look as bad as you think and were it my tank I would leave the plants alone for now. Also Nesaea has a bad habit of getting stunted/curled leaves when it's not happy. Your are going to find out it's a PITA.

Ah, I knew that pH with pressurized CO2 fluxuates, but didn't know the "true" pH should be taken in the morning. Good point, makes sense.

Thanks for your push of confidence!

My anubia nana is perling! Only 1 of the 3 and only from the flower, but it's definitely perling. I know Anubias are lower light and hardy plants, but with 1 of them perling, is this any indication that the other plants are doing well?

Back
Top Bottom