New Light Fixture

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MyanRan

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys, I was planning on buying a new light fixture for my tank today, so that I can get some better growth out of my plants, and to proof for future plant requirements as well. As you may know, I have a 54 Gallon Corner Tank and the light rests 18" above the substrate. I'm looking for at least medium-high light. My LFS has the Glo T5 HO Dual Bulb Fixture for my tank. Do you think this would be a good upgrade to make over my Dual T8 Fixture I have? I know it might be a little expensive for what it's worth. But I am having hard times ordering products in Canada, so this is kind of a sure-fire option.

I was looking to spend under $150 for sure on the fixture and bulbs combined. But I do want something nice and powerful.

I was thinking about buying a Finnex Ray 2 30", I had checked on line that I would probably get a PAR reading of 40, which would be medium light? But, unfortunately even though Finnex said they would ship directly to me in Canada, they changed their minds and said no.

I own two Glo fixtures. They're built really well, but you're not going to get that much more light out of them vs a cheaper T5HO fixture. Do you know if odyssea people will ship to Canada?

Just to clarify, I'm totally ok with buying this GLO Dual T5HO Fixture. I was just wondering if it will give me some strong light. That's good to hear that they are built really well! Do you know what lengths the Fixture comes in? The fixture needs to be 30" long to rest on top of my tank. I see it has those metal hinges(or whatever they are on the sides).

Strong light means different things to different people. The Glo fixture will give you reasonably good light, and all other things being even you'll be able to grow most things with, but it's not what I would personally call "high light", although my standards are higher than most probably.

The light comes in 12" increments starting at 24". The fixture has extendable metal bracket thingies on the end that you can probably get at least 3" out of to get to 30" on a 24" model. It also has pretty nifty clamps that comes with it to elevate it if you want to.

I think this is what I will get then! Hopefully it will fit on the tank satisfactorily. If not I can always return it. I'm looking to get some new plants in the future, and I know the lights I have right now aren't good enough for most anything. Will I be ok dosing Excel? Or would CO2 be more effective here?

CO2 is always more effective, but unfortunately DIY CO2 isn't practical on a tank that size, so your pretty much stuck with pressurized or liquid carbon.

Ok, sounds good. I can just follow the dose for Excel right on the bottle, correct? It should be enough? I'm currently only dosing Flourish Comprehensive once a week. Could I begin dosing PPS-Pro on this tank now?

Back
Top Bottom