New Light on my 55g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

levilowe

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
image-2890121477.jpg

I just put this new light on my 55g. The tank is 6 week new. How many hours a day should I run the lights.
(2) x 54W T5 HO fluorescent 12,000k white daylight bulbs; offers natural sunlight
(2) x 54W blue actinic bulbs-health of marine corals and invertebrate
(4) Pairs, 8 blue-moonlight LED lights for night time viewing; saves electricity

Are you running a planted freshwater tank? If so, there will be a a minimum time for lighting, and others more knowledgeable than myself will be able to speak to the lumens and other factors that can affect plant growth.

I run my lights about 7 hours a day, sometimes 8-9. I have been experimenting since an algae bloom - shortening light time frame and installing UV filtration system.

I hope this helps.

There is plants. And with my light I have the choice to run both vho and blue or one of the two. Should I run both together.

I would run both 6700k lights that are good for plants and see how you like it. Give it a week or two and you might get used to it and notice more plant growth.

The blue / actinic lights look really nice, but I don't think they are as good for plants as the 6700k lights. I had one 6700k and one actinic light in my T5 HO set up and I removed the actinic, replacing it with a second 6700k light. It looks more "ghoulish" without the blue actinic, but my plants grew like crazy. Of course, there were many other factors; i was running CO2 into the tank - which probably helped a great deal.

Thank a lot for the input. Need all the help I can get.

Back
Top Bottom