New lights, a few questions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

N757QQ

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone,

First, a few required details:

Tank: 55g
Filter: Fluval 406 that was just set up Friday night & an Aqueon 55/75 that is still attached & will stay there for another month
Lighting: was standard full spectrum 18" aquarium lights, now a 48" custom light I just finish putting together with 2x T8 32w 6500K bulbs.
Substrate is sand
I use Flourish root tabs but they are the rock ones, not sure if they make a sand specific one...

I am new to the aquarium world. I have had my tank up & running for about a month with fish, about 2 & 1/2 including cycle time & 1 anubias nana. I purchased two amazon swords from a lfs & have them in the tank now with 15 Male peacock & hap cichlids.

The cichlids are so far playing nice with the plants. The question I have is that the Anubias is apparently doing well, it stays green, but is now growing much, which I am sure is because it is tied to a rock & the lights have been very weak even for a low light.

My amazon swords are turning brown & in rough shape, thus the new lights. I have pulled away all of the sand & put their roots in some rock but there is still sand in the area. This was done to help with the flourish tabs. I have dosed API leaf zone, but I think it is causing my Nitrates to go through the roof, as I will do a wc & then dose it & get a reading a few hours later of 60+ ppm. So I am not dosing it any longer, especially with the 15 cichlids that are in the tank currently, I certainly do not want to do them harm.

So, I know the lighting is still a bit weak for the Amazons, but should I cut the brown & browning leaves off?
If so, how far down the stem?
Should I make sure the roots that are floating get put back in the substrate?
Is there an easy way to do so, as I had a hard enough time getting the swords to stay in the substrate.

Lastly, with my new Fluval 406 running, will it take too much nutrient wise from the water for the plants?

Thanks for any help in advance,

N

There are a few causes that turn leaves brown from a combination of too much PO4 and NO3 to not enough micro nutrients and the plants being raise emersed and not under water. to the plant not getting enough light.

The later, emersed plants vs. submersed plants, will cause all the leaves to die off and new leaves will grow. In swords, emersed leaves tend to be oval, while submersed leaves are long with very little stem.

PO4 over 5ppm can cause the plant to become unable to efficiently use nutrients like NO3, potassium and the micro nutrients. It's called a nutrient lock. Reducing the PO4 should allow the plants to take up nutrients better.

Micro Nutrient deficiencies are cause by too much iron. Too much iron will lock the plant from taking up micro nutrients.

If the plants are fairly new, they are shocked and need some time to settle before pruning or they will remain stunted.

Not enough light will cause the plant to redirect the nutrients to the top of the plant sacrificing the lower leaves.

I admit I'm better with house plants than I am with aquarium plants, but the basic rules do apply.

Thanks, I appreciate the reply, and the information. That is very helpful.

I will see how they do for the next few days with the new light.

I do know that they were always submerged, according to the seller, and when I picked them up they were in a tank, and had been for a while, as I had seen them on previous occasions.

I do know that my NO3 has been on the 40ppm fence for the majority of the time, despite weekly & sometimes biweekly water changes. They are currently at 20-30ppm and a water change is due tomorrow, at 50%, due to medication in the tank.

Lastly, I cannot decide if it is my imagination or not, but I could swear that the leaves are starting to look better, as in more green. The brown parts are still brown, but the rest is seemingly starting to look better already. That, again, may just be wishful thinking.

Thanks,

N

I always check to see if there are new leaves emerging from the base of the plants and look for a thinning of leaves at the bottom half for stem or bunched plants. If the stem plants are losing leaves near the bottom then the plant isn't getting enough light. That's about the only way I can tell if the plants are doing well.

Back
Top Bottom