New Lights! Timer suggestions, please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EBR

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi Everyone --

I just got my new 48" Orbit lights with 4x65W (2x10k, 2xActinic), and would like some opinions about the best way to set the timers so as to not shock the little guys (ah! bright light! bright light!). Anyway, the unit has the moon light LEDs, so I figure I can just leave them on all the time. As for the daylight and actinic lights, though, would it be best to have them turn on/off together, or should I stagger them?

I'm not so concerned about they turning on together in the afternoon since there is good abient light in the room during the day. But what about at night? Seems harsh to go from bright daylight to moon lights with a flip of a switch. Thoughts?

And thanks.
Matt

MAke the Actinic lights come on one hour before you put the 10K lights on then run them for desired time I do mine for 8-10 hours then shut off 10K light leave antinic on for another hour then turn it off and let the moon light run come the enxt day repete process. I don't use a timer however because it was to complicated I tried it once and ended up shuting off my sump and it flooded and oh boy lol!

i use timers from walmart to have the actinics come on bfore the daylights and then have the daylights shut off before the actinics. This kind of mimics the sunrise sunset. a 10 hour photo period is fine.

Glad to see the light got to you so quick!

Yeah, Thanks Darin. You called it just right. It's a wonderful piece of hardware -- now just need to make a new canopy (with all sort of vents, etc). Darn thing is damn bright when looking at the tank while sitting. Perhaps a nice little weekend project...

Anyway, many thanks for your help -- pleaseure doing business with you.

Matt

Back
Top Bottom