New LR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

XxVooDooxX

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok, so I just got my LR today straight from Fiji and have it in a tub, I made up some saltwater to the salinity of my tank, have it heated to the same temp as my tank and have a small maxijet 400 for flow. My question is...how long should this rock be cycling for? is there a standard time frame? Im super excited to put it in my tank ith the rest of my LR :)

So the rock has been in the tub for a couple hours now and just for fun I tested the water...ammonia and nitrite are already off the charts! Ha

Did you put something in the tub to cycle them?

I wonder if that is die off? Where would the ammonia come from?

It's the die off from the lr. thats pretty much how I cycled my tank, the LR does most of the work.

Did u put an air pump with an airstone in the tub to keep the rock alive???

There's no need for an air stone or anything like that. The powerhead will break up the surface tention of the water an will provde oxygen in the water, though the rocks don't particularly care. Its the bacteria on the rocks that makes them "live". You're fine the way you are, just keep checking the water parameters and soon your rocks will be ready to go in the DT

Today i got some dry rock 2 it is some of the nicest rock i have seen in my opinion lol

Attachments

• phone 3 16 2011 016.jpg
    phone 3 16 2011 016.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 236
You need to put that rock in the tank. it will cycle and HELP your tank cycle too. It will have die off which will produce ammonia. You need that in your other tank. Unless you still have fish in it. Then I'm not so sure how to proceed. LOL

It looks similar to the...tongan ?? rock I have. Sorry can't remember the exact name/spelling. Very cool rock, my sixline wrasse loves it.

Back
Top Bottom