new mandarin eating frozen boodworms!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AndrewS

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got a spotted mandarin from the lfs today for my 20L because it was eating frozen brine there. So I brougt it home, dumped it into the tank, and fed the tank. I decided to try som bloodworms for my shrimps, and the mandarin decided to eat a worm. He spat it out 3 times, and on the 4th, finally swallowed it. I was shocked. Totally forgot to grab the camera. Next time I'll get pics!

I would watch it VERY carefully. Just because it eats prepared once or twice, doesn't mean that it WILL eat it long-term. You need to remember to rinse the frozen food in RO/DI before it gets put in the tank. The food will also need to be vitamin fortified as they don't get all the nutrients they need from non-fortified. I would find a way to feed it instead of just tossing the food in. Mine has adapted to the "Mandarin Diner". If you just toss in the food, make sure you put it in ONE spot every time so the mandarin knows where the food is. I would have a bottle of pods on hand just in case something goes wrong. HTH.

My personal experience is that they are very entertaining fish and have a great personality with lots of color, it's just they need the extra care to make sure they get fed properly. Watch the belly, if it caves in, you WILL need to add pods to the tank which will get expensive. The best option would be to find someone with a stable tank of 100+ gallons that can mantain the mandarins diet. Once again I hope this helped.

Just letting you know what you are in for.

Oh I know :D It's been eating for about a week at my work. I work 5 days a week, so if I need to get pods, its not a problem, and on top of that, if something happens, we have MANY tanks that are crawling with pods I can throw him into there. I've already worked all this out :D

Kudos for making sure it was eating at the LFS. One thing though. If feeding brine make sure it`s vitamin fortified brine. Regular frozen brine has virtually no nutritional value.

i feed the vitamin stuff at my house. they use regukar brine t the lfs with garlic guard. i feed about 3-4 different types of frozen in my tank.

Congrats!

If I could ever find one that was eating prepared foods I'd be all over it. I have established a large pod population, but I'm still concerned it's not enough.

Back
Top Bottom