New Media Bacteria Growth Rate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CCXGT

Aquarium Advice Addict
To run my hospital I'm using some left over Biomax in my canister then transferring it over to get the cycle going.

I'm just wondering how long (on average) does it take for sufficient enough bacteria growth on Biomax?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Put some of your old filter matt in your hospital tank filter, when you do a water change from your other tank, put that in your hospital tank as well, this will cycle your tank very quickly..........

Put some of your old filter matt in your hospital tank filter, when you do a water change from your other tank, put that in your hospital tank as well, this will cycle your tank very quickly..........

I'm not 100% on what filter matt is?

I was just going to throw the Biomax into the hospital HoB.

What I do is run 2 filters on all my tanks. each filter has 3 bags of bio media. I also have new bio rings on hand so when I need to set up a new tank ill pull 1 bag out of 2 filters from separate tanks and replace them with new. I then set up the new or hospital tank with the 2 old bio media bags. If it was a hospital tank when done ill either disinfect the bio media for future use or toss it depending what the infection was. This has basically instant cycled the new set up because the bio load in the new setup is way less than the tank they came from.

What I do is run 2 filters on all my tanks. each filter has 3 bags of bio media. I also have new bio rings on hand so when I need to set up a new tank ill pull 1 bag out of 2 filters from separate tanks and replace them with new. I then set up the new or hospital tank with the 2 old bio media bags. If it was a hospital tank when done ill either disinfect the bio media for future use or toss it depending what the infection was. This has basically instant cycled the new set up because the bio load in the new setup is way less than the tank they came from.

Well I just gave up with using carbon in my 306 so just threw in some extra bio.

I'm wondering wether the two cartridges in the hospital HoB are even worth running.

That's fine so long as it's out of your old filter and then put your old tank water in also, this will help to cycle the hospital tank, all you need to do is make sure you use stuff out of your other tank..........with the bacteria on it........

Well I just gave up with using carbon in my 306 so just threw in some extra bio.

I'm wondering wether the two cartridges in the hospital HoB are even worth running.

Yea I don't run carbon at all. My filters are all aquaclears. Sponge on bottom then as much bio media as possible. In the cichlid tanks one of the filters has a polishing pad between the sponge and bio media because they are messy eaters and blow some of the pellets out the gills witch makes a mess.

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yea I don't run carbon at all. My filters are all aquaclears. Sponge on bottom then as much bio media as possible. In the cichlid tanks one of the filters has a polishing pad between the sponge and bio media because they are messy eaters and blow some of the pellets out the gills witch makes a mess.

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well my 306 is:

Top - filter floss + hospital Biomax

Middle - Biomax

Bottom - coarse sponges

FX6 (water goes from top down:

Top - coarse sponge

Middle - Biomax + fine sponge

Bottom - Biomax + Purigen

This is working fine so far.

Well my 306 is: