New media for filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

misterpenguin4

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a tretra whisper ex45 and a marineland penguin biowheel 100 in my 36 gallon tank. Im going to put the biowheel in my 10 gallon shrimp tank when I fill it up. But right now they are both running in my 36 gallon tank. I have been noticing what I thought were small bubbles until I looked closer and realized they were particles. They are floating around in the tank and they dont look very good. I just did a pwc and cleaned the media. Is there any type of filter media I could get that would help? Thanks for looking!

If you just did a PWC, could it just be junk stirred up from cleaning your substrate? Mine usually looks a little yuck for awhile after a PWC and gravel vacuuming session, but it resettles/gets filtered out and goes back to looking fabulous again after a bit. :)

Use some polyfil in the ex45. You can pick it up in any craft/hobby store. I also believe Walmart and the likes sell it. A big bag, which will do you for a LONG LONG time, only a few dollars. This will pick up any small/fine particles....
PS...Just make sure it's 100% polyfil, no additives.

Use some polyfil in the ex45. You can pick it up in any craft/hobby store. I also believe Walmart and the likes sell it. A big bag, which will do you for a LONG LONG time, only a few dollars. This will pick up any small/fine particles....
PS...Just make sure it's 100% polyfil, no additives.

This is indeed the best stuff for removing detris plus it's cheap, goes a long way, and is so easy to change in an HOB filter. I push a small wad down behind the filter cartridges. If you have alot of detris you can even wave your hand around the tank causing the detris to float up into the water column where the filter can remove it and then just replace the fiber fill every 2-3 days until your detris level is lowered.

Going to Target now to see if they have it. Plus there is a petco next door and I need to get some blood worms for my kribs, rams, and gouramis

Going to Target now to see if they have it. Plus there is a petco next door and I need to get some blood worms for my kribs, rams, and gouramis
Cheap bed pillows will do if you can't get it. They have to be brand new, 100% polyfil. Again check that they don't have any additives(fire retardents)....

Yea poly fill is the way to go. Walmart has it in the craft/sewing section for $3 for a big bag. Looks like this.

Attachments

• image-2017774116.jpg
    image-2017774116.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 51
At walmart about to check out.

Attachments

• image-2181837687.jpg
    image-2181837687.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 50
Where should I stuff it? And howmuch?
image-1180487035.jpg

Tetra whisper EX45

image-1781915649.jpg

Marineland penguin bowheel 100

When you get home, just give it a quick rinse in old tank water, removed first of course!!!. You should notice the difference in a matter of hours or less....

When you get home, just give it a quick rinse in old tank water, removed first of course!!!. You should notice the difference in a matter of hours or less....

Okay, so Im home. Im not sure howmuch and where to put it.

Put it in front of the cartridges, whatever you can shove in without restricting the flow.

Done. Lets see how this work! How long until I see a difference?
image-1875171053.jpg

Still have enough to stuff a couple pillows!

Attachments

• image-3395054907.jpg
    image-3395054907.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 44
  • image-1960841490.jpg
    image-1960841490.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 41
Back
Top Bottom