New Member and Question about FW Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

burkpm

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello!

I am new to this forum, but a SW enthusiast for a long time and I found keeping the SW tank is getting too much for me.

I will be changing my 65 gal SW tank over to FW in the next week or so. When I set up my "new" FW tank, I want to use all live plants; just some easy starters since I never did this before.

Can I use my SW LED light for the FW plants? It is on a timer simulating the various times of the day to moonlight.

Thank you,
Patrick

I'm willing to bet your saltwater LED light has a very cool color spectrum around 10k and an actinic blue spectrum light.

If you do plan on having a planted tank you will want to get a different light around 6500k-7500k in color range as this will be the closest to natural daylight. Depending on your plants you are going to want around 2 watts per gallon on most freshwater tanks.

I recommend swapping the light out with a DIY fixture either LED or CFL Bulbs, they will cost a fraction of what an aquarium light would cost and you can customize it to your liking.

Your sw light will probably work if you switch to 6500k bulbs. If you have a adjustable led you can just change your settings. I have a Ai hydra on my sw tank and it lets me adjust each color individually.

Back
Top Bottom