New Member - First Tank - Need Some Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mfischer0210

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello and thank you for reading my post.

I received a free 20G tank from a co-worker on August 15th with 8 platy's in there already. I brought the tank home with the fish in a 5 gallon bucket containing the tank water. I cleaned out the tank and decorations before putting the fish back in. I added my tap water that was close to 80* and then added the fish with their 5 gallon of previous tank water. Everything was going great until this week. I was doing a water change weekly of roughly 25%. The last couple days we lost a couple platy's and a dalmation molly we purchased from the store. Currently in the tank is 5 platy's, 2 dalmation mollies and 1 plecostomus.

I was doing some reading on the internet and realized I was lacking in any type of fish knowledge beside my co-worker stating to just change the water once a week. I have really enjoyed the tank so far and the fish. My wife and kids love watching them swim around too, so I really hope I can get this figured out. Today I bought an API Freshwater Master Test kit and took some readings.
PH - 7.6
High Range PH - 8.0
Ammonia - .25ppm
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Nitrare - 80ppm

I then did a 50% water change and added Tetra Aquasafe Plus at 3pm today. I just did another 7 hours later.
PH - 7.6
High Range PH - 8.0
Ammonia - .25ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm
Nitrate - 20ppm

I also have a penguin 150 filter. The filter seems to get clogged in about 6-8 days and the water starts going out the overflow. I have cut the feed back to 1 once a day and give enough that they can consume before it hits the bottom.

Thank you for any advice you may have! I cannot wait to get this figured out so we can add some more fish in.

I included a picture of the tank.

Attachments

• DSC_3345.jpg
    DSC_3345.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 58
When you put the fish back in the tank, did you use a water conditioner?? Always use a water conditioner when adding tap water and when doing a water change. I use Seachem Prime after every water change.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I also have a penguin 150 filter. The filter seems to get clogged in about 6-8 days and the water starts going out the overflow. I have cut the feed back to 1 once a day and give enough that they can consume before it hits the bottom.

Thank you for any advice you may have! I cannot wait to get this figured out so we can add some more fish in.

I included a picture of the tank.

For my 20G I bought a more powerful filter.. Maybe try that. I use an AquaClear 70 HOB filter. Or advertised in local pet stores as Fluval. Haven't had any issues! They're great power filters.

Well you are doing great so far just keep taking tests every few days and when you read no ammonia or nitrite you can add a few more fish... and just try to keep nitrate below 40 ppm.... and welcome to the hobby i really enjoy it and it sounds like you and your family do aswell if you have any other questions ask here theres some really knowledgeable people on here. Cough cough caleb/breanne/gillie...etc

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Oh i forgot i use seachem prime to jen louise is right its great stuff

Hi. A 20 gallon is too small for most plecs, they produce a huge amount of waste and grow far too big. I probably would not keep even a bristle nose plec, smaller than the common plec, in less than 40 gallon.
I have however kept a baby plec, grown it to 4-5 inches and swapped it out at the LFS for another baby. Not all fish shops like taking in larger plecs but mine did and it worked out fine. Just another possibility if you really want a plec in the tank.

Oh i forgot i use seachem prime to jen louise is right its great stuff

Is the Tetra Aquasafe Plus not very good to use? I said it was a water conditioner too. I will look into switching to the seachem prime for future changes.

Hi. A 20 gallon is too small for most plecs, they produce a huge amount of waste and grow far too big. I probably would not keep even a bristle nose plec, smaller than the common plec, in less than 40 gallon.
I have however kept a baby plec, grown it to 4-5 inches and swapped it out at the LFS for another baby. Not all fish shops like taking in larger plecs but mine did and it worked out fine. Just another possibility if you really want a plec in the tank.

The plec in the tank is maybe 2.5" right now, he is pretty small and seems to be enjoying himself for the time being. My kids love it when he is attached to the glass and they can see him sucking.

When he gets too big, we have a local shop that will take him in for me. What would you suggest to help clean up and food bits or algae? Would a Cory Catfish be ok?

I also tested the water again for anyone who is curious and believe I received some better results today.
PH - 7.6+ (It is a little dark than the 7.6 on the card)
Ammonia - 0ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm
Nitrate - 10ppm

I need to run to the store this evening and pick up a new filter cartridge for the penguin, it is going out the overflow. The Biowheel is not spinning since it started going out the overflow. When I put in the new filter will that affect my readings again? Anything I need to watch for?

Thank you for the help and suggestions!

Well you are doing great so far just keep taking tests every few days and when you read no ammonia or nitrite you can add a few more fish... and just try to keep nitrate below 40 ppm.... and welcome to the hobby i really enjoy it and it sounds like you and your family do aswell if you have any other questions ask here theres some really knowledgeable people on here. Cough cough caleb/breanne/gillie...etc

That's quite a compliment. I feel like I know nothing compared to Andy and Coralbandit and some of the others in here. I just read an enormous amount.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok I think Tetra Aquasafe messes with the Ph. I could be wrong but one of those Tetra products does. You really want a stable Ph. Prime really is the best product. Also with the filter cartridges you can rinse them out on old tank water or dechlorinated water and reuse them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom