New member looking to get back into the hobby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

psaraki

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello! I'm new here but not entirely new to aquariums. Can't wait to get a freshwater tank set up for my new house!

I've always loved aquariums, and my parents got me one for Christmas when I was 12 or 13. It was a 35-gallon freshwater tank. Had no idea what I was doing when I started, so unfortunately I lost a lot of fish at first, but then I got the hang of it and had a nice stable tank. For years, the stars of my tank were a pair of lemon oscars I got as wee 2-3" fish and which just kept growing. (Oh, and I had an acrylic hexagon shaped tower tank at some point. Almost forgot!) Went off to college out of state and my parents looked after the tank for a while, but eventually I sold it. It didn't seem fair to make my parents do all the work, and moving it to college wasn't an option.

Now, after moving umpteen times for college, grad school, study abroad, work... I'm finally NOT moving again for the foreseeable future. You know what that means: aquarium time! :D

Only trouble is, things have changed since I had an aquarium. For one thing, 30 years ago when I first got mine, undergravel filters were the most common. Now I gather they're obsolete, since I don't see them in how-to books and videos. I'm looking forward to learning the new ropes, so to speak, so I can get a new freshwater tank up and running. I'm sure this forum will be very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom