New Member.... New pico reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Huffers

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello everyone! I am new to this site but not new to the fish keeping hobby. I have kept both freshwater and saltwater tanks for years. That being said I am relatively new to the whole nano saltwater idea and have finally decided to set up a small tank in hopes of creating a desktop reef tank for myself. After researching the market I chose the Aqueon Evolve 4 aquarium as I felt this bundle was the best for the money. I just recently set up my new tank and added around 5 pounds of live rock and coarse sand. I checked my levels today and all checked out ok! (Nitrate, Nitrite, PH. AK, Salinity, Temp) I will continue to let the new system develop before adding any kind of animal life. My main question centers around the lighting of this tank. There are 20 LED lights (18 white, 2 blue) in the overhanging light fixture that came with the tank. I don't have much experience with LED lighting for saltwater aquariums so I'm wondering just how many watts these lights produce and whether or not I need to think about upgrading the light system to keep corals. Due to the small nature of the system I probably wouldn't add any corals that were really particular, maybe just some zoes, polyps or mushrooms. If anyone has had experience with this tank I'd also like to here about what your systems are like. Thanks!

No experience with LEDs here but welcome to AA!

Nanos are fun and require a little more work than larger tanks but pwc are super quick!

What is the wattage with the LEDs? I have read that people have switched to the BoostLED kits for a better spectrum of light. Additionally, be careful as this is a soft acrylic tank that will scratch very easily.

I'm not sure how many watts these little LEDs are. That's what I was hoping to find out. One Internet source I found said they were 1/2 a watt each. If this is correct that would put me at 10 watts for 4 gallons in a tank that stand little more than a foot tall. That's not so bad. I may try it out with some low light corals before I think about upgrading the lighting system. Here is a picture of what it looks like thus far.

Attachments

• image-739085372.jpg
    image-739085372.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 79
Back
Top Bottom