New member - new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

karancon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone - just setting up a new 40g sea clear. I list my 20 g and everything in a house fire, just moved in to the new house and one of my first purchases was the tank. My husband tended to the 20g, but I'm getting into this one. We are doing a fish in cycle, started 4 days ago. My mopani wood stained the heck out of the water, figure will just have to wait it out. I am looking to add the following:

6 neons
5 cherry batbs
5 Endlers
4 panda Cory's
1 bristle nose pleco
1 Otto
4 sword tails
2 Bolivian or blue rams. Not interested in breeding, would two females get along.

I'm absorbing all the info I can

Hello and welcome! I'm so sorry to hear of your loss, that is so tough. But, it sounds like you and your husband are rebuilding, which is awesome!

Let us know how we can help :)
The stain of your water from your woof is from tannins leaking out of it, which is not harmful (actually slightly beneficial) to your fish, but an unsightly appearance that will go away with water changes. You can always take the wood out of your tank and boil it, if it's small, or soak it in hot water in a big bucket.

I have Panda Corys, I love them! Do you have sand for them?

Neons are great too, but are fragile. I want to say almost expect for some of them to die, unfortunately.

Best of luck, and again welcome! :)

Sent from my mobile aquarium device

No sand, will that harm the Cory's barbs? I have lost 2 of 4 neons. Had the water tested Friday and fish store said pH was 7.6, sold me something to help bring it down, since then lost the two fish. I'm done using the stuff. My well water has a high pH. Been reading that maintaining a stable pH is better than constantly fooling with it.

You're absolutely correct. 99% of people should not mess with their pH using chemicals. I have a pH of 7.8, all my fish have adjusted fine.

Corys should, though not crucial, have a fine substrate for their barbels, they will be much happier.

Neons are very fragile. Be sure to drip acclimate them. They also prefer an established tank, at least a month.

Thanks for your help. I have 40 lbs of gravel I the tank, I'm not inclined to take it all out. Any suggestions what I can replace the Cory's with. I was planning on 6 neons, 5 zebra danios, 5 cherry barbs (was advised by fish store these were too aggressive) 4 swordtails, 5 pandas, 1 BN pleco, 1 Otto and 2 Brazilian or blue rams - not looking to breed

Barbs can be aggressive. What if you took half of the gravel out, and made a cool river or bank of sand/gravel? Corys are awesome. If your gravel is rounded, it might be ok. Gravel with Corys is a big debate, one of which you'll get a lot of opinions. I've had Corys with half sand half Petsmart gravel for a couple of months, they're all alive and no damaged barbels.

I like that idea. Any thought of what the sand will do to my cycle? Thinking of swapping out the barbs for Endlers. Really want the Cory's. Do you think it will a colossal mess trying to put the sand on while there is water in the tank? I have this bad image in my mind.

I like that idea. Any thought of what the sand will do to my cycle? Thinking of swapping out the barbs for Endlers. Really want the Cory's. Do you think it will a colossal mess trying to put the sand on while there is water in the tank? I have this bad image in my mind.

If the sand is rinsed well it should not be a problem. You would want to turn off all filters while adding (or disrupting) the sand (can be bad for the filter's impeller). What would be best is to minimize mixing the sand and water. You could scoop up the wet sand in a large cup or bowl, slowly lower it into the water and gently pour it onto the bottom. A length of 1.5-2" PVC combined with a large funnel might be something you could try.

I wrote a post somewhere in here on how to do half and half. It's a pretty cool effect.

I agree with Fresh2o. Look into Pool Filter Sand (I think size 20). It looks nice and clean.

Back
Top Bottom