New Member Sharing Discus pictures and discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yh88

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi All,

I started with an 15g fish tank. The longest surviving fish I had was a silver dollar (1 of 2 that survived) and it grew from about 2 in to almost 6 ins. It was getting very jittery whenever I introduced new fish into it. So I had it traded for credits from a LFS.

In Apr 08 I have a 55g AquaOne Tank to keep Discus. The discus are about 2 in in size when I had them. There are also 2 Corys, 2 sucker fish, 1 bristlenose, 10 rummy nose, 8 Cardinal tetras, 3 Neons and 6 Glolites. I have 1 4in+ ciclid in the 15g tank.

However, I am really at my wit s end as to how to get my 3 of 4 discus to eat their Sera discus granules. Of the 4, the yellow-red discus is the most voracious - it eats just about anything if it is hungry from flakes to veg wafers meant for catfishes. One of the discus the striped bluish red one always follows the yellow-red one to feed, but then it doesnt know how to eat from underneath the cone from which I feed them. Some articles claim that some discus are genetically deficient in their sight. I have 2 cones to feed them in case the smallest yellow-red discus gets bullied. But the smallest one just doesnt have the appetite for the granules, but is easily attracted to live blood worms and mosquito larvae - so also the most dominant one which has not appetite for the granules except live bloodworms.

I was told by the LFS that I should starve them for 2 days and then see what happens, but it doesnt seem to work. As I have stated I have one fish that has a great affinity for food thought it spits it out for the smaller fish to eat when it is full - it just like to 'peck' at everything.

Yes, eversince I changed to feeding them live blood worms (when they werent attracted to the Spectrum granules meant for tropical fish) their stools have gone white - but hasnt seem to have any effect on the voracious one which is 3rd in the pecking order. The most dominant one and the little one are always hiding away, I dont know how they are going to survive if they don t seem to eat at all

Kind regards to all:)

Attachments

• IMG_2827.jpg
    IMG_2827.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_2843.jpg
    IMG_2843.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_2858.jpg
    IMG_2858.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 60
Welcome to the site!
I like the 1st pic.

Beautiful fish!

You would probably get more responses to your questions about feeding if you posted in the Freshwater General Discussion forum.

Good luck!

Welcome to AA!

I second the suggestion of posting your question on the forums. The Cichlid Discussion forum would be a good place to start! :)

Beautiful fish and I'm pretty sure the people in the freshwater forums would have some things to consider to help out your fish -- Welcome to Aquarium Advice - The best site around for FFF (fish-friends-fun)

Moved to Freshwater General discussion. If I am to understand you correctly, your discus are in your tank for about a month? What filtration do you have in the tank? Have you tried feeding without the cones? Another option is to feed just before lights out. Give it a few minutes and then turn the lights out. My discus eat at the top of the tank and also scavenge around the bottom.

The white poo, is it stringy at all? Discus are prone to parasites. Did you get them from a breeder? Do you know if they were dewormed? What are your exact water parameters? How often and how much are you doing water changes? Discus can hide illness quite well sometimes. How do the fish act when not feeding time?

I don't browse the FW side too much, but can you soak their food in garlic guard for about 20-30 minutes? Sometimes this will get the finicky eaters to eat. Maybe not the granules but something that won't get all soggy. I'm a saltie and use garlic guard for my frozen food along with selcon and zoe.

Back
Top Bottom