New mysterious fry?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abrage22

Aquarium Advice Freak
O wow, I just came to check out my tank, and there are fry swimming around! I have no idea where they came from:confused:. Two of my ghost shrimp each are eating a dead one, my black molly tried eating one. I currently have one safely in a net on top of the tank. I had no fish that looked pregnant, nor did I every see any eggs anywhere. I have 5 cardinal tetra and a black and cremecicle lyretail molly. I'd like to know if it came from my two mollies, or from the tetra. But what should I do to try and keep the one i have safe alive?

I think it was the mollies. Even if they didn't spawn recently, livebearers can carry sperm for a while. IME, crushed up flake is too big for small fry and just fouls up the water. Look for a liquid fry food.

abrage22 said:
Alright thanks. Should I try and get as many in the net as I can?

If you'd like... They do make a nice snack for other fish though lol. And Rosenweiss, I agree with the liquid food comment, but usually, if it's unexpected, crushed up flake will work temporarily.

I agree, Mollies. Liquid, first bites, crushed flake, BBS, golden pearls... most anything should work. Mollies have relatively large fry.

Ah, I was thinking of fry hatched from eggs that I've had experience with not really being able to eat crushed flake, but I forgot that the livebearer fry would be much bigger.

Back
Top Bottom