New: need help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zengirl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have started a new 45gal tank over the past 3 was. We introduced 4 platys this past Sun and 1 died yesterday. Found nitrItes really high.
Did a 30% pwc and added Prime.
Today's results: pH about 7.6, ammonia 0, NitrItes 2-5 (it's a bright purple), NitrAtes 40-80

What do we do now?
Should we wait to replace or add more fish?

Put live plants in - they suck up the nitrites produced by the fish. I would wait for the replacing, and continue water changes.

We have added 2 new plants and continue water changes. NitrItes are still staying high.

Test your water - the nitrites might be in your water. If they are, then I don't know what you can do. There might be some chemical for neutralizing it, but that is it. Or you could just pack in the plants.

If your tap water has Nitrites and nitrates all that can help is over planting your tank or triple dosing Prime.

iPhone 5s has taking over lol

Those levels are toxic and will continue to kill fish.

You need to test your tap water and see where that is at.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Should we try just adding more Prime??
Today's results: no ammonia, nitrItes still bright purple, 5?, nitrAtes 20-40
Tap water tested: no ammonia, no nitrItes, no nitAtes

The fish are swimming well, but I am getting worried for them. Can they tolerate another large water change?

What is your filtration? And what is your stock? And what are feeding and how many times?

iPhone 5s has taking over lol

Filtration is a Fluval C2 for 50+ gal
Current fish: 3 Mickey Mouse mouse platys & 5 Serpae tetras
1 very sm anacharis plant, 1 sm Java fern (planted into gravel) & 2 bunches of a plant given to us from est. tank, floating on top. It has red/purplish broad leaves.

We are feeding: Omega One freshwater. We were feeding once each day, but have just skipped one day, planning to feed today.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom