New/old fish squabbling. will this work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saith

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I got two orchid dottybacks yesterday, a male and a female. I acclimated them and added them into the tank. The flameback angel (african) keeps chasing them and nipping at them. I took out all the rock and removed the flameback. I really don't want to get rid of any of these fish. The rock work is completely different now. If I put the flameback back in, do you think they will start to get along. This is the first time I have added new fish and they didn't get along with the older ones, and I am really new at this. My understandig is that changing the rock takes away and territorial disputes. I guess I could try and put him back in and take everything out again. If anyone has some experience with this please share. Thanks

Sometimes if you leave him out awhile, and give the new fish a chance to settle in and develop a territory, you will have better luck.

I had that problem in my 75g I just moved all the rock around creating different caves after that there really wasent anymore chasing. How big is your Tank?

well my tank is only 29 gallons. I ended up leaving the flameback out for about 6 hours, and then letting him back in once the dottybacks had a chance to get familiar with the new landscape. The flameback spent about an hour checking things out before it started to go after the dottybacks, but there are a lot more places for the dottybacks to swim through, and the flameback isn't constantly going after them. This morning all the fish were just hanging out. Hopefully they will stay this way. Thanks for your responses.

Back
Top Bottom