New Oscar lover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Iluvfishie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, I’m kind of new to the forums, and any forums for that matter. First I’d like to kind of give a little back story. I have 2 Oscars (one albino) and 2 jewel cichlids. I had my tank set up for months before that with other tropical fish but I moved into Oscars. I’ve never had fish die on me, I let the nitrogen cycle take place in my 29 gallon tank. Doing more research on my Oscars, I found out I needed a larger tank. I have a 55 gallon tank that is in the process of being set up. I recently bought a fluval 406 which is running along side my HOB filter which was there already to hopefully build up beneficial bacteria while the other tank is still being set up and I gather supplies. I keep the tank at around 80 degrees and my readings are as followed:
Ammonia:0
Nitrate:40
Nitrite:0
And PH:8.2
The PH is where I gather my concern. I need to know what you guys think I should do. I have read so many different opinions on they will be okay, or that’s way to high, or they become accustomed to it.... I need some help on what the best thing is to do? Driftwood? Peat moss? Leave it alone? They seem to be doing just fine in the tank, they eat and I have ariation. I do water change of about a 1/3 (about 10 gallons) every two weeks. I would just like to know if I am going about everything alright? Any tips? Recommendations? I’m new and just in need of help! Thanks ahead of time!!!

Your PH is fine. Driftwood is a nice option but not neccessary. Your water parameters are also okay, nitrates just a little high. Keeping large new world cichlids such as Oscars, require larger WC's. 40% - 50% each week. I know that sounds like a lot, but the extra clean water will help avoid disease. As the Oscar grows, he will produce large amounts of waste. Welcome to AA
I also keep large Cichlids and Tetras.

Your PH is fine. Driftwood is a nice option but not neccessary. Your water parameters are also okay, nitrates just a little high. Keeping large new world cichlids such as Oscars, require larger WC's. 40% - 50% each week. I know that sounds like a lot, but the extra clean water will help avoid disease. As the Oscar grows, he will produce large amounts of waste. Welcome to AA
I also keep large Cichlids and Tetras.

Okay cool that is a very big relief. How can I get nitrates down? And also I have only had my fluval 406 filter hooked up for a few days so hopefully that’ll help? And do you have any other advice on things I should maybe do , etc ?

The larger, weekly WC's will lower the nitrate level. Be sure to post pics. Of your 55 gal. When it's up and running. If you plan on keeping your Oscars long term, a 55 gal. Is going to be temporary housing. In a year or two a larger tank will be required. Oscars get huge.

Do you by chance have any recommendation on were to get a nice sized piece of driftwood??? Or can I find one and do something to make it safe orrrrr???

Malaysian or Manzanita driftwood can usually be found at quality fish stores. Both types readily sink. You can use dead hardwood branches. Just make sure the branches are free of pesticide or weed killer.

What V227 said! I had one Oscar that needed weekly water changes in a 75 gallon. I didn't even know what nitrates were back then She got to be 12 or 13 inches long. Messy eaters but full of personality.

Back
Top Bottom