New Owner of 29 gal Tropical FW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

itsgracia

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello everyone I'm new. I have been lurking around and decided to create an account today. Because of reading this forum I learned cycling among other stuff that is important. My tank is now fully cycled after 5 weeks and I purchased my first fishes today. I have decided on Zebra Danios (6). I'm also in time will add some Rosy Barb, sunset Platy, Cory catfishes, and a pleco. Does this sound ok? I do have a few questions though...I'm wondering what kind of invertebrates I can put if any? I'm thinking of the nerita snails and ghost shrimp. I was thinking of adding those little frogs but I don't know if it will be too much or if it will be even ok. I have an Aqua-tech 20/40 hang on filter. I also have a long bubble stone using a tetra whisper pump. One thing I didn't know was that I didn't need a protein skimmer for a FW tank which I did return. That's it for now. I'm sure I will have more questions later. Thanks in advance.

Here are some pictures.

Attachments

• image-3745806151.jpg
    image-3745806151.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 77
  • image-3787064136.jpg
    image-3787064136.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 75
Nice tank! I think as long as you get a school of at least 6 rosy barbs (Not the longfin, they get bigger), a Platy or two, School of at least 6 cories, And a Dwarf pleco such as a Bristlenose or Rubberlip (The Common pleco needs 100+ gallon tanks. Make sure to only add 1-3 fish at a time every 2 weeks (You can do 6 at a time for a school depending on how big they are), this is so that you bio-load on your filter can catch up before adding anymore fish.

As far as Inverts, do you add any salt to your aquarium? If so, I would recommend to stop using it, it will effect the inverts. Also Im not sure if the Barbs or danios would eat the ghost shrimp.

I wouldnt get any African Dwarf frogs, they are sometimes hard to feed in community setups, I would recommend to only put them in a species only tank.

Thanks! That stock list sounds great. No I font put salt in my tank. I would love some invertebrates in there. What kind would you suggest?

Your stock list and your tank both look good. If you want a pleco, get a dwarf variety. Bristlenose plecos are supposed to be good algae eaters and they'll stay small enough for your tank.

A protein skimmer is a waste of money on a FW tank. Fresh water isn't dense enough for the protein skimmer to function properly.

Thanks BigJim. I found out about the Protein Skimmer after I nought it but I promptly returned it after I found out I don't need it. Ofcourse the lady at Petco didn't tell me I don't need it.

Unfortunately many LFS people aren't well versed in aquariums. Some are into other critters, some just treat it as a job.

Back
Top Bottom