New parents - Bolivian Rams w/fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DIY_Dad

Aquarium Advice Regular
Noticed them nest over a week ago...but didn’t pay much attention until this morning! They are in a 75gal community tank. What should we do to protect them or help the parents?IMG_0004.jpgView attachment 1

I would remove the fry to a safe place ? They are probably too small for a breeding net so maybe something solid like a Tupperware container floated in tank to keep temp with a small air stone. Just change water daily right from tank.
Congrats !

Great advice, coralbandit!

My Son decided to transfer the whole fam to his 29g tank, parents et al. We took about 20 gallons of water from the 75gal tank. A simple sponge filter with air-stone and we are of and running! We used a 1” siphon tube to capture and transfer the frys (fries?)

The whole family seems to have settled in nicely!IMG_0532.jpgIMG_0531.jpgIMG_0004.jpg

Looking good !:cool:(y)
The parents may grind up some food for them if the eat flakes or small pellets.
I have seen this a few times with my GBR.
Other wise possibly look into frozen baby brine shrimp.
Good luck man.

Have you had any experience feeding Fry with Decapsulated brine shrimp? Seems like an easy, healthy and cost effective solution!

Looking good !:cool:(y)
The parents may grind up some food for them if the eat flakes or small pellets.
I have seen this a few times with my GBR.
Other wise possibly look into frozen baby brine shrimp.
Good luck man.

Picked up a packet of Hikari First Bites while we wait for our order of decapsulated brine shrimp to arrive. So far so good...parents are keeping close watch and enjoying the privacy of their new tank!

Have you had any experience feeding Fry with Decapsulated brine shrimp? Seems like an easy, healthy and cost effective solution!
Yea I feed fry the decap eggs . They're good stuff . You can't hatch them so you feed them right to fry.
A little goes a long way so watch for over feeding and prepare to vacuum up after them. They may stay floating on top of tank and be hard for fry to recognize , so if you have a syringe you can inject the eggs into the water column right to the fry. I use a meat syringe .

This one with the tip cut off where the side hole is and then pinched off with a pair of pliers .Works great and last.
http://r.search.aol.com/_ylt=AwrEwN...x800.jpg/RK=0/RS=4Eb4icHYbE5u4f9wOsjUTlAvQSQ-

Yea I feed fry the decap eggs . They're good stuff . You can't hatch them so you feed them right to fry.

A little goes a long way so watch for over feeding and prepare to vacuum up after them. They may stay floating on top of tank and be hard for fry to recognize , so if you have a syringe you can inject the eggs into the water column right to the fry. I use a meat syringe .

This one with the tip cut off where the side hole is and then pinched off with a pair of pliers .Works great and last.

http://r.search.aol.com/_ylt=AwrEwN...x800.jpg/RK=0/RS=4Eb4icHYbE5u4f9wOsjUTlAvQSQ-

[emoji106]

Back
Top Bottom