New peacock mantis shrimp tank! Advice appreciated

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joecast44

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello just decided to build this mantis shrimp tank. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411228623.801025.jpg
14 gal biocube, around 20 pounds of live rock and 3-4 Inches caribsea live sand. I plan on putting a few simple corals in the tank, I just set it up yesterday but also added the stuff that instantly cycles the tank. When do you think I can add the shrimp??

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

6 months, mantis are extremely sensitive creatures. A 14s not gonna be big enough either for a peacock, look into one of the smaller ones

Even with using the stuff that 'instantly' cycles your tank, probably bio-sparta...though believe it is a crock personally, without something producing ammonia there isn't anything for the bacteria to feed on. Without an ammonia source the bacteria die, meaning your tank isn't cycled.

Okay, I live on a beach and can easily catch sea horses, puffer fish and even angel/lion fish. Should I try to get a few and use them??

After reading through some of your old posts I think you need to start doing research before you do anything. All of your previous posts display terrible husbandry tactics, and your current question shows you still haven't done adequate research on the type of system you plan on setting up.

What do you mean husbandry tactics and I've researched these shrimps and tanks for months now I'm just taking precautionary steps so I don't kill an animal.

5 gal nano, 14 gal biocube.

Also I know it's not going to be big enough but I have access to small ones around 2 1/2-3 inches or so. I'm going to get rid of him once it's too small

Okay, I live on a beach and can easily catch sea horses, puffer fish and even angel/lion fish. Should I try to get a few and use them??

Also I know it's not going to be big enough but I have access to small ones around 2 1/2-3 inches or so. I'm going to get rid of him once it's too small

And the stocking/defending of the stocking of your 5 gallon tank is what I mean by bad husbandry habits.

I bought that 5 gallon off a lfs with every fish in it then once I found out you can only keep a few I reduced it to just the clowns. They just sold me a crowded tank

So buy a mantish shrimp at 2 inches, grow it out and get rid of it? Have fun getting a 4-5" peacock mantis out of that tiny tank... Just get a smaller species or move the fish from your other tank.

I bought that 5 gallon off a lfs with every fish in it then once I found out you can only keep a few I reduced it to just the clowns. They just sold me a crowded tank

Hate to break it to ya, but clowns don't belong in a 5 either so your really just supporting my opinion. And +1 to what bribo said, your probably more likely to get yourself seriously injured than get the mantis out of there.

There's just too many opinions on the web that it becomes confusing so even with research it's hard to be fully sure. I've seen pages saying peacocks are hardy and easy to keep and others saying they're delicate sensitive animals that need lots of maintenance. Hence why I asked some of the questions I had here

My advice is move the clowns to the 14 and do a bigger tank for the peacock mantis :)

Not for an o. scyllarus ( peacock) but it would work for a n. wennerae (Caribbean rock mantis) which is commonly available and a very cool little mantis.

Okay, since I'm getting torn up on this thread I think I'm going to buy a 29 gal biocube for shrimp.

You are doing the right thing for the creature you are wanting to keep. We want you to be as successful as it wants to be.
And on a quick note from one thing mentioned before with taking things from the ocean, it is illegal so don't do it. That and there isn't any type of screening for parasites, oils, or other pollutants.

Back
Top Bottom