New person, worked in a pet shop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kmac153

Aquarium Advice Newbie
New person, worked in a pet hop when i was real young and became the fish guy. So recently while cleaning out a ladies basement she gave me a 30 gallon octagon tank. Got it set up with some plants and a few fish. Looks good so far. Finding fish though has been a bit of a challenge a few local pet stores had not much luck there, I did order some angels on line from a guy in buffalo they are super nice. I love this stuff. And looking at many of the salt water tanks are super nice looking but way beyond my budget and experience level for now.

Attachments

• fish1.jpg
    fish1.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 2
more pics of my place.

Attachments

• fish2.jpg
    fish2.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 4
  • fish3.jpg
    fish3.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 4
  • fish4.jpg
    fish4.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 4
New person, worked in a pet hop when i was real young and became the fish guy. So recently while cleaning out a ladies basement she gave me a 30 gallon octagon tank. Got it set up with some plants and a few fish. Looks good so far. Finding fish though has been a bit of a challenge a few local pet stores had not much luck there, I did order some angels on line from a guy in buffalo they are super nice. I love this stuff. And looking at many of the salt water tanks are super nice looking but way beyond my budget and experience level for now.
Just an FYI, that orange and black fish ( an African cichlid) is not the best fish to have with your other fish. At some point it can turn on all your other fish as they can be very aggressive and territorial. It also will do better in hard alkaline water while the other fish can handle a wider variety of water parameters with no ill effects. In the right water the black will be more vivid as will the orange. 1713196703465.png (y)

Yeah the chiclid does chase around the tiger Barb some times but so far has not bothered the others even got a few tiny pleco and some small zebra Danios We do have hard water here to .

So ya think I should find him a new home? I do like him alot too but I like all the other guys or maybe I need to get another tank

So ya think I should find him a new home? I do like him alot too but I like all the other guys or maybe I need to get another tank
As you probably know, African Cichlids can be a fascinating fish group with many dynamics to it. If you can get another tank going that is longer rather than taller, the fish would probably do much better and you could add more types of Zebras if it's decorated properly. (y)

Thanks for the tip will look into it if I can't get another tank ill try to find a home for It.
Well bummer i just got home and took him out but now I gotta find him a new home I cant afford another tank but if anyone is near Schenectady NY and wants him He is in good health and a real nice fish.

Last edited:

This is a really cool store I found about 20 miles from my house. They have a little bit of everything in here. Legit it’s bigger and has more fish than the zoos here! Not sure if they ship to your area but definitely worth checking out. They have a great fresh and saltwater selections!

Just an FYI, that orange and black fish ( an African cichlid) is not the best fish to have with your other fish. At some point it can turn on all your other fish as they can be very aggressive and territorial. It also will do better in hard alkaline water while the other fish can handle a wider variety of water parameters with no ill effects. In the right water the black will be more vivid as will the orange. View attachment 389899 (y)
Well was able to find a home for that one a local store i found took him and gave me a small credit So that great.

Oh wow! I’ve never taken one back to a pet store. I’ve read and heard they take them back but I guess I’ve always been too chicken to try. But getting credit too. That’s awesome. Good call. Maybe next time I’m trying so hard to rehome one I’ll try the pet stores.

Aquarium stores are more likely to take in unwanted fish than pet stores, and it really depends on what you are trying to get them to take and whether they can resell them. To a certain extent, how good a customer you are to them might be taken into account. They probably arent going to be interested in a load of tank bred livebearers unless they are something special, but adult fish that they can quickly sell on, or fish that arent all that common are more likely to be wanted.

Our local pet stores that sell fish just wouldnt take fish. Of the 4 aquarium stores near me, only 1 of them would willingly take fish from me, and will give 1/3 resell value as store credit on fish they will be able to easily resell. I have seen them taking in whole tanks full of fish from people leaving the hobby too.

Its always worth asking though, especially if they know you as a regular customer. One of the reasons why supporting local shops is important rather than going online. You never know when you might want them to do you a favour.

Well was able to find a home for that one a local store i found took him and gave me a small credit So that great.
That's a step in the right direction. (y)
If things are still the same, you will get more in store credit than you will for cash so keep that in mind when trying to rehome animals. With credit, the store knows you are going to buy something so it's not really costing them the amount they are crediting you with.
Aquarium stores are more likely to take in unwanted fish than pet stores, and it really depends on what you are trying to get them to take and whether they can resell them. To a certain extent, how good a customer you are to them might be taken into account. They probably arent going to be interested in a load of tank bred livebearers unless they are something special, but adult fish that they can quickly sell on, or fish that arent all that common are more likely to be wanted.

Our local pet stores that sell fish just wouldnt take fish. Of the 4 aquarium stores near me, only 1 of them would willingly take fish from me, and will give 1/3 resell value as store credit on fish they will be able to easily resell. I have seen them taking in whole tanks full of fish from people leaving the hobby too.

Its always worth asking though, especially if they know you as a regular customer. One of the reasons why supporting local shops is important rather than going online. You never know when you might want them to do you a favour.
Absolutely. You have to give to get should be the customer's motto. Stores you support will usually help support you so think twice when you are trying to save a buck on an item by buying it online vs a store. Back in the day, we'd get people who bought things from mailorder places bring their items in to ask us how to use them. It got to the point where the answer had to be " Ask the place that you bought it from." Why? Because the time it took us to answer these questions where we got nothing in return, took time away from our sales that kept the store open. The same now applies to buying online. Obviously if you have no choice because there are no fish stores within a reasonable distance from you, you have to buy online but when you do have a choice, choose wisely. :whistle:

Luckily I was able to rehome all the ones I needed to and decided to spoil the angel to any fry that might try to pop up in my tank 😈

Back
Top Bottom