New pet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hooie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm sitting here looking at my bare 75g tank which is almost at the end of cycling thanks to 7 Zebra Danios. Yesterday I paid for my oscar who I am going to name Felix. I will be picking him up next week (he will be the only fish that I keep in this tank after he eats the Danios).

Anywho, it just occured to me that Felix might not find the 76° degree water to his liking. What is the appropriate temperature to keep an Oscar at? Also, I have 2 Rena Cal Excel 150w heaters and while the glass seems rather thick should I switch to unbreakable heaters eventually?

Thanks for the helpful advise! :)

side note: I bought a Python to help with weekly PWC for this tank. In getting this tank set up this has been one of the best equipment purchases that I have ever made. It's an affront to common sense to carry buckets 50 ft like I was doing (20g tank). Get one!

76 is fine. The heaters should be ok. When he gets big he may have trying to eat the little orange lights, but you have plenty of time to worry about replacing them.

Sounds like you're ready for a new pet! We have many oscar keepers here at AA, but another good site is www.oscarfish.com for the nit-picky details involving the care and keeping of oscars. I can't wait to see pics of your new pet :D
It's an affront to common sense to carry buckets 50 ft like I was doing
Unless that's your weekly work out--still don't have one for my 80, 50 and 46 gal tanks!

Agreed with rich about the heaters. You may not need a new one yet, but my roommates oscar broke 2 glass ones, before he purchased a stainless steel heater. I would say it's a safe move, whenever you decide to replace.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom