new planted bowl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MMantelli

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I got bored yesterday so I decided to do a planted Betta bowl. Well its more like a cylander actually lol. With decorations substrate and everything in it it holds 2.2 gallons it has one B2B lack and blue male crowntail Betta. For light I ft s sharing a 28w daylight CFL bulb with my planted 10. It has a sponge filter and a heater. Black sand for substrate and the small barrels from petco or decoration. For plants it has one java fern, one anubias nana petite, 2 stems of ludwigia ovalis, 2 stems ammania gracillias, 1 golf ball and 5 small moss balls, and a dwarf cardinal plant (quick will soon be going into my riparium and once my HC fills in the Tupperware I have it growing emersed in it will be carpeting the bowl. I am dosing pps pro for the ferts and glut for the co2 @ 4 drops each daily.
Here's a couple pics will have some more up this weekend.

I'm not sure thats a proper setup for a betta, they need more length than heighth so you might want to consider getting a different tank... it doesn't have to be right away but sooner is better than later!

Oh I know I already have a 10 setup for it but I had to put fry in there so this is his temporary home he is also gonna have some pink pearl ramshorns as tank mates oh and a pair of olive nerites.

Added a dwarf cardinal plant and a background .

ForumRunner_20130616_200755.jpg

I figured this would be better than being stuck in a breeder box

Last edited:
Great work!!! very creative! I like what you did with the filter there. Very nice temporary home for your gorgeous betta who btw looks like veiltail on the pictures. He is beautiful!!!! I agree with Jessicafish on bettas not needing the hight but rather the width as in nature they lived in large but shallow pools. I see mine come up to the surface all the time to catch some air and blow some bubbles. They are also not best of swimmers due to their long fins and tails, this can have hard time fighting the currents, so make sure your filter flow is adjusted to lowest setting possible. Another thing that may help your boy out while you are working on upgrading his home is a leafy vertical plant that can provide for resting spots for him on his way up to the surface as well as create distraction from the view of the sponge in the middle of the vase. Have a question about the filter you used here, is it store bought or dyi? I've been on a quest for upgrading my filtration systems

Yes I was looking for a wider summer home for him bit I got that at a yard sale for $2. And the bowl I was looking at at an arts and crafts store was $17 I coulda got a 20 for that on craigslist lol. I do have some stem plants in there there just clippings from my 20 right now and there's also a java fern in the back they all just need to grow some. I had him in my heavily planted 10g shrimp tank but when my African cichlids were ready to spit there babies I had to put them in there so the babies wouldn't get eaten by the other adults and I had him in a breeder net and wasn't diggin it. So as soon as the fry are ready to sell and are all gone he will be going back in the 10. And the sponge filter is actually 1/2 & 1/2 I got a sponge filter off eBay for the 10 and it had 2 huge sponges on it so I took it apart and used some of the pieces of it to connect to some flexible hose stuck a t with a cap on one part in the side and boom sponge filter I just wish suction cups stuck to curved things I'm planning on figuring a way to put I'd on the side of the cylander so its mostly hidden by the curve then the ammania gracillis will hide the rest of it. The heater is totally hidden on the left side by the curve.

Very cool! I've seen some of your posts before and knew there had to be a good reason for that:) that vase can make a really handsome looking aquatic artform, it's already taking a shape of one. I will be experimenting with mixes of aquatic and semiaquatic plants that will spill out of the bowl or planted filters. I think the possibilities are limitless. Once you get the Betta moved out you could make it a very cool shrimp or snail planted water feature. Good for you being so creative and thinking out of the box!

About that sponge filter, I'm not technical at all and terrible with hand or power tools and stuff. Knowing what you know do you think I should even consider dyi? If not what should I look for? I wanted dyi to be able to better custom fit my set ups, also thinking about near future of getting some if not all of my filters planted. I love plants, my fish love them, and my nitrates will have great outlet. I'm just beginning my water filtration research, so anything you can throw at me will be great. Do you by any chance have any drawings of how you did that filter?

Do yall think a 28w 6500k CFL bulb is too much light? It's 6 inches away from the tank in a clamp light fixture.

ForumRunner_20130621_145717.jpg

ForumRunner_20130621_145744.jpg

I got some dw today I'm going to figure out how to incorporate one of theese pieces into the tank. Mabey a javamoss tree behind the barrels I dunno yet.

ForumRunner_20130621_145644.jpg

Great idea with dw! It'll keep your ph nice, and you can tie a piece of christmas moss to it, or few pieces to a vertical green structure, unless you can find a really tall plant. Another thing to consider maybe sticking few cuttings of your favorite ivy (English or any kind) It'll root quickly in water and you'll have green spilling out of the vase

Back
Top Bottom