New planted tank / KH 12 / learning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just sent this email to Caribsea:

"I purchased 3 bags of EcoComplete from Amazon. Upon opening the bags, there was a strong mold smell and rust colored stains at the bottom of the bag. I used them in my tank. The water was very cloudy for 12 hrs. Also, within 12 hrs there was a white filmy gel on my plants.

I threw out heavily affected plants & I started the nitrogen cycle. The white filmy gel went away within 24 hrs. I tested the KH of the Eco I have in a bucket and it is testing at 14.

What are the correct parameters for a good bag of Eco?
pH, KH, GH, and phosphorus?

Thank you for responding to my questions. I have been posting all these issues at the Aquariumadvice.com forum. My name there is MonkeyMonk86.

Sent from my iPhone"

I'll post whatever response that I get back from them.

Unless your wanting to breed certain types of fish or want to keep certain delicate soft water fish you really don't need to mess with RO or adjusting your reading at all. Most all fish can acclimate to higher kh, gh, and ph readings. Keeping things simple are usually the best.

Agree whole heartedly, It was only an option, all bases covered. Yes it all depends on which fish you want, select species suited to your water or make water suited to your species. RO is simple enough, it shouldn't be dismissed. Plenty of people agree though, it isn't necessary for the majority of fish. It's almost exclusive to reef keeping. It does grant you freedom to keep any water type you desire, which means any fish you choose. Free from all problems.

It depends (for me) how much your tap water changes. My nitrate levels are a big issue according to rainfall (10-40 mg/l). Hardness and alkalinity are also vastly different annually (up to 370 tds). (Ground water sourced by water company through chalky hills)

Also I'm a big fan of South American River fish. Tetras rock! I'm a plec fan. My latest recruits are M. ramirezi. (Apparently common as muck but I think they are great!) If you want soft acid fish, there are few options.

All fish have nominal levels at which they thrive. The best care is within those ranges. That's my opinion only. :hide:

This is the email that I got back from EcoComplete:
Tony Wagner
Director of Marketing
CaribSea, Inc.
843-819-5966
tony@caribsea.com
caribsea.com
reptilite.com

Begin forwarded message:

Hi Elizabeth!
Thanks for your questions. We pack the Eco Complete in an acidified solution to blow open any pores that may partially obstructed by calcite overgrowths. This process results in a better product but a higher initial KH because of the now dissolved minerals in the fluid. Eco complete is also inoculated with a variety of symbiotic micro-organisms (bacteria and mycorrs) and they can have an unpleasant odor when confined for a period of time. There are also the organic acids which condition the water and encourage root growth . I cannot give a hard number for the initial parameters since it varies with the mineralogy (it is a natural material). All the initially high parameters decline with normal water changes and biological uptake and that includes phosphorous. The filmy white is either some sediment or the Mycorrhizals sorting themselves out. A few hours of circulation usually brings the gases into equilibrium and the biologicals where they belong. If the elevated parameters of the fluid bothers you simply drain the fluid from the bag but do not rinse the substrate. Thanks again!
Rick

Sent: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 1:38 PM
To: Rick Greenfield
Subject: Fwd: CaribSea EcoComplete

Rick,

I can’t find any of these specific details in the old emails. But this may be a very good FAQ question. The Eco-Faq is uploading now!!!! :)
Tony Wagner
Director of Marketing
CaribSea, Inc.
843-819-5966
tony@caribsea.com
caribsea.com
reptilite.com

My kh was 16 when and i kept fish in it for about 6 months with no problems.

For the last month and a half i have been steadily bringing it down using RODI water. I bought myself a unit.

At my last test my water was at 11.
I record my results and its plotted on a graph. I can post if you like?

Last edited:
Thanks, Sk3lly, that would be interesting and informative. Are u using the app, too? Can u also post your pH along with the KH? Thanks so much!

The word he used mycorrhiza is another word for fungus
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mycorrhiza

Does anyone think that fungus can be transmitted to fish? Perhaps, when n cycle complete, I should do several water changes and UV sanitize for 3 days b4 adding fish? Anyone know about soil molds? ( Ian086, I hear you laughing. I can't help myself. Chronic compulsive worrier. And, Jamie, I can see you hitting the books to help me, too.) Thanks, all!!!

Right this is kh...... There was an anomaly where I think I miscounted the drops
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399051764.045031.jpg
This is the gh...
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399051807.998965.jpg

Thanks, Sh3lly, the graphs are very helpful!

In that link there is a pic of a mold that looks just like the stains on my bags. Ericoid mycorrhiza
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399052547.894997.jpg

I only have 1 emerald green "corry", 1 false julii and 3 glofish danios. I want to school the false julii and the emerald first, then the danios. And, then see how it goes. The emeralds even when drip acclimated have not survived more than 36 hrs. But, they were from the same place. Someone told me that they had the same experience and that the emeralds are wild caught and stress out getting here. I might try live aquaria for julii and emerald fish and hope their fish are healthier.

I had good luck with the false Julie Corys. I've had the same six for 18 months now. Seems like they are pretty tough. I bought part of my fish from Live Aquaria, They were healthy.

OS.

Thanks, OS. The false julii is fun to watch. She's real energetic! And, my big daughter is named Julie. I'm wondering if there is a Katie fish??? That's my little daughter's name.

I'll research platys, and get back to you b4 buying any.

Edited: Great suggestion!!! Fit right in with my water parameters and tank size. Thank You, OS!!!

Mycorrhizas are beneficial fungi growing in association with plant roots, and exist by taking sugars from plants ‘in exchange’ for moisture and nutrients gathered from the soil by the fungal strands. The mycorrhizas greatly increase the absorptive area of a plant, acting as extensions to the root system.

Don't think the fish could catch them, the fungi are not interested in what the fish has to offer.

Compulsive indeed:ROFLMAO: at least obtuse worrying is better than disregard!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom