New plants and driftwood. Idk whats happening!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grrriph

Aquarium Advice Regular
Alright so I recently just got plants for my aquarium after buying a 2x36 watt Bright Kit from ah supply and I was wondering what's happening to my water. This is my first time posting and am new to the site, so any help would be sweet. Thanks.

image-706275339.jpg

First day with new plants and driftwood

image-1711639658.jpg

4 days later

I think its the change in water color they're talking about. I've no knowledge of driftwood but I think ur piece of wood hasn't been treated to be underwater. Tannins I think is what they call what's being released.

You didn't boil the DW and the tannins are leaking in the water, it's not a big deal but if you don't like the color water changes is your answer.

Alright so I recently just got plants for my aquarium after buying a 2x36 watt Bright Kit from ah supply and I was wondering what's happening to my water. This is my first time posting and am new to the site, so any help would be sweet. Thanks.

View attachment 62752

First day with new plants and driftwood

View attachment 62753

4 days later

Looks like tannins... It's normal and harmless to fish. Pwc's will help, but you just have to wait for the tannins to leach out, could take a few weeks to months.

From experience I can tell u there's zero point taking the wood back out, just let it leech the tannins and keep ontop of water changes and it will go after a few months. The water will take ages to go clear either with or without the wood. Some suggest carbon to help it clear quicker, but I found it Diddnt help a great deal. Just better to run with it, do pwc's if it gets too dark and after a while it will be pretty much clear again.

I learnt from experience the same way do now u know for future. Unless u get used to the Blackwater like I did and quite like the softer colour. I chose clear water however, as nice as Blackwater tanks can look.

One way to avoid it in the future is to get real driftwood that has been really submerged in a river or stream somewhere. It can be a fun adventure to go out and find some yourself.

Bought or found, just test it beforehand by soaking it to see if it releases any tannins.

On another note, what size tank is that? I can't see the total stocking but it looks like it might have some compatibility issues.

Thanks everyone. The quick responses were awesome! Ill keep doing the water changes and I'm fine with a little darkness for a while, but will my plants still be able to grow since it seems the light isn't able to penetrate far?

jetajockey said:
One way to avoid it in the future is to get real driftwood that has been really submerged in a river or stream somewhere. It can be a fun adventure to go out and find some yourself.

Bought or found, just test it beforehand by soaking it to see if it releases any tannins.

On another note, what size tank is that? I can't see the total stocking but it looks like it might have some compatibility issues.

It's a 45 gallon. And I totally have compatibility issues. I bought all those fish when I first got the tank not knowing what I was doing. Its been a year and a half and they're all still there.

Last edited by a moderator:
jetajockey said:
I hear ya, it happens to everyone. I did the same thing years ago when I first started.

Yeah the parrot fish is ugly in my opinion but my dad wanted it soooo. But the Dempsey and Duboisi are great together.

All of my plants survived and I only have the small florescent tube that came with the setup, so providing your lucky like I was they should be fine.

Nomadu571 said:
All of my plants survived and I only have the small florescent tube that came with the setup, so providing your lucky like I was they should be fine.

Niiiiiice

Back
Top Bottom