New Pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MyanRan

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys, so my LFS finally had some baby bristlenose plecos! I got one and he is only half an inch big. I have been reading about how to properly acclimate him to my tank. Is it true that I should float the bag for 15 minutes then empty some of the water into the sink, then refill with water from the tank? I heard to do this two times and then drain the water and fish into a net, then put them in the tank.

You could either drip acclimate him wich is the better way or float the bag 15 min, add one cup of tank water every 5 minutes until you doubled the original volume of the bag. Net the fish and release do not add store water to your tank ever.

Ok, I'm planning on emptying the fish into a net and putting them directly in the tank, after using a cup to add 25% tank water to the bag, then draining the bag 25% after 15 minutes (repeat three times)

Ok, I'm planning on emptying the fish into a net and putting them directly in the tank, after using a cup to add 25% tank water to the bag, then draining the bag 25% after 15 minutes (repeat three times)

That should be fine but IMO there is no need to take water out of the bag. If it was properly packaged there should be plenty of room. Fold the top back to create a border on the bag that will allow it to float.

Yes, it is floating in the tank right now. The bag is a little bit small so I'm just taking out water and then replacing with tank water.

Will it be ok if I have to leave the pleco in there for another hour? I don't exactly have minute to minute access to him right now.

Will it be ok if I have to leave the pleco in there for another hour? I don't exactly have minute to minute access to him right now.

Should be okay. Shut the lights On The tank though if possible. You can probably transfer him as soon as possible by now.

Well, I put him in! Turned the lights off, and he went straight to my new piece of DW! I'll probably put the light back on the tank in an hour or so, that should be good right? The other think I am wondering is how and when to feed him. I bought the Hikari Algae Wafers from the LFS.

Is this the same tank that you took pictures of your nitrate test results that were through the roof? We're you able to sort that out?

It is the same tank, but I have done a 75% WC and the problem is decreasing, it won't persist for very long in my opinion.

Does it matter where I drop the sinking wafer? Should I place right beside the pleco, or does it really matter? I heard to feed it when the lights go out each night. Should I feed it one wafer a day? Or much less?

So I put a wafer in. The Pleco hasn't seemed to notice it yet, he is just going everywhere on the glass, and is now on the filter intake, presumably eating some algae. Will he just go to the wafer when hungry? Should I just leave it in there where it is?

So I put a wafer in. The Pleco hasn't seemed to notice it yet, he is just going everywhere on the glass, and is now on the filter intake, presumably eating some algae. Will he just go to the wafer when hungry? Should I just leave it in there where it is?

He will find it. They are more active at night. My guess is that he will eat some of it overnight. Remove whatever is left in the morning. You could also feed some blanched zucchini or cucumber.

Not so much :p, I had read a few profiles but to be honest I wasn't entirely prepared. Luckily everything is in place, and should continue smoothly.

Back
Top Bottom