New Red Claw Crab Tank - One not moving around

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hnbayes

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

I have just set up a (5 gal) tank with four lovely red claw crabs. It has been about two days, and I have both land and water areas, 5 or so pieces of driftwood arranged for hiding spots, some grass (that they LOOVVEE) up on the land, and a normal filter that suctions to the side of the tank. They seem to all be getting along, but I woke up this morning, and one of them was in the exact same spot it was all day yesterday. I feared the worst when I didn't see any movement from him for awhile. I dripped a few drops of water on him, (which resulted in one of the other crabs climbing on top of him and staring at me?? :confused::)) , and he eventually perked up, and will now move his legs up and down, but will not go anywhere. I've tried putting food (pellets, small piece of spinach, even a tiny piece of pear...) right next to him, but he won't eat, and has still yet to move from that spot.

The others seem to be doing fine. I had some trouble getting them to eat, but I think they may be picking around now. One also ventured about halfway up the filter cord before I found him. As many have mentioned, no one can say they aren't adventurous little critters!

Thanks for any help you can provide!
~Z :ermm:

New Red Claw Crab Tank

Hello,

Yes, I attached a picture of my tank... Unfortunately I lost the crab I posted about (I got him/her separately from the other three, and upon a brief inspection, it seems as though the original three did not want him/her in the tank). I am also distraught to say that I found another one of the (definitely male) crabs lying motionless under the filter last night. I took out most of the gravel/sand that was under it, and cleaned the entire rest of the tank. Until I can get new substrate, it is bare on the bottom. (The filter seen on the left was causing a lot of foam -because of the sand?)

On top of that, I took the filter out, cleaned it thoroughly, and now it makes a sound but will not take in/pump out water. :facepalm:

I suppose my main questions are:
-Is there a way to make the filter work?
_Is there a better filter that I should use for this small of a tank (<5 gal), such as a canister or sponge filter?
-Any other help you can provide on the layout, etc. that can be improved upon!! (I plan on getting more hiding places... the driftwood pieces I had before had white slime all over them, despite the filter being on, so I threw them away.)

I have tried to research the best possible way to set up a crab-friendly habitat, but am afraid I am still far from it. :nono:

Thanks for your help,
Z

Attachments

• 2014-02-18 13.39.41.jpg
    2014-02-18 13.39.41.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 173
New Red Claw Crab Tank

Hello,

Yes, here is a picture of my tank. Unfortunately, the crab I had originally posted about is now gone. I had gotten him/her separately from the other three, and upon a brief inspection, it seems as though they did not want him/her in the tank. I am also distraught to mention that I found one of the other (definitely male) crabs lying motionless under the filter last night. So, I removed the gravel and cleaned the entire rest of the tank. Half of it now has a bare bottom until I can get new substrate. I also plan on adding more hiding spots (I had pieces of driftwood, but a clear/jelly-like slime developed on them despite the filter running…so I threw them away.)

Also, I took the filter out (on the left in the picture),cleaned it, and now it makes a sound when plugged in, but will not take in/pump out water. :facepalm:

So, I suppose my main questions are:
-Is there hope for my current filter/what can I do to make it work?
(Something to do with the impeller, perhaps?)

-Would a different (canister/sponge) filter be more appropriate for this small of a tank (<5 gal)? (The one I have now causes foam on top of the water - because of the sand?)
-Any other layout, etc. suggestions you can offer!

I have tried to research how to best set up a red claw crab tank, but feel I am far from it. :nono:

Thanks in advance,
Z

Back
Top Bottom