New red jewel cichlids, color faded?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LogansMomma

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just bought two red jewel cichlids yesterday. At the store they were the brightest i've ever seen. Today not so much.

They are only 1 1/2 inches currently. I'm hoping they color up soon but was wondering if there was something i could do to help them along. Also was wondering if my lighting is different than at the store. I have two florescent lights, one floremax and one a full spectrum.

Feed them last night and they seemed to brighten alot but then faded soon after. They are the only ones in my 45gal.

Ive added aqarium salt and feed them hikari cichlid staple pellets.

Tank parimeters are:
ammonia 0
nitite 0
ph 7.6
78°f
nitrate 20

Any info would help. Thanks

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120503_222017.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120503_222017.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 294
  • ForumRunner_20120503_222212.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120503_222212.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 248
They were displaying for the rest of the jewels in the tank and the switching of tanks will also cause them to not display as much since they don't know there surroundings which will change soon

I was planning to have a red jewel only tank. Trying these guys out first to have them get a feel for the tank before i went out and spent alot on them. (moving suroundings to what they like etc)
If i get more would they be happier? And how many should i get for a 45?Arent red jewels supposed to be all red with blue spots? Im just not seeing what i saw at the store :(
Hoping on some ugly ducklings lol.

IME...I bought 2 from a guy and they were dull colored for about a week. When they got use to the new tank they colored back up. From what I understand, you want a single pair in your tank. Once they pair off they will attack anything else (mine do) and its worse when they have babies!

wich ever is the dominat male will be the brightest red and the female will change back and forth a lot in colors.be prepared for lots of babys every month. i get 100 a month. good luck

ok i notice my jed jewel color is fadding? think we see a black spot on it down fron side away from his gills, but its in a 100 gal, with other cichlids its in hideing in the back,, please help try to get a pic to post,

When I had mine some days he was a bright red then some days he was dull.

When I had mine some days he was a bright red then some days he was dull.
oh ok thanks for the info going to do a water change and add salt to the tank, get going here soon i have 3 larger tanks to do,, thanks again,,,:):thanks:

Back
Top Bottom