New residents for a 15g column

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KTpoopenstein

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a planted 15g column from Aqueon with a Tetra Whisper 40 filter that needs some new residents. I currently have 3 peppered cories, one serpae tetra and 3 nerite snails. I do not want more serpae tetras. I had 6 at one point and they never swam around much. They just hung out under my piece of driftwood. I love my cories, and I know they'd be happier with a few more friends, but I'm concerned about getting more since the tank's footprint is fairly small ~13"x13". As it is they're way more active than the tetras ever were.

I'd like something with some color ideally, and something that is active. Obviously anything I get will be dependent on what I can find at the two LFSs that I've gotten healthy fish from before. If anyone has any recommendations for places to get healthy fish in New Orleans that would also be appreciated.

I was thinking about cardinal or neon tetras...thoughts?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392070636.319302.jpg

Have you considered mail-ordering fish? There are people on here selling great fish as well as on Aquabid. I have been happy with my orders of less than common fish at great prices. Have you thought of doing a nano- tank? You could do some schools of nano fish in a 15g that are colorful and lively. Good Luck! :)

I've never really considered a nano tank simply because I'm not really familiar with them. What qualifies as a nano species?

I've thought about buying via mail order, but I've only ever done it with my nerites, mostly because I couldn't find them locally. I'd like to support the local merchants in my area if possible but I'm not completely opposed to the idea of buying from someone online...although it seems to be cost prohibitive in a lot of cases (am I wrong about that?)

Nano species are generally under 1 inch. My lfs are bog box stores and a few smaller that NEVER carry anything new. When you mail order you are helping to support a small time hobbyist in many cases. I have been able to get fish through mail order that I couldn't have gotten otherwise so the shipping costs have been worth it to me. I usually go with overnight shipping, but I have done priority mail and gotten fish from neighboring states in 2 days. Check out Severum Mama's post under the classified section in this forum. She is reputable and has some interesting stock.

My favorites are the scarlet badis which is not easy to find. If you want a really pretty fish check out peacock gudgeons. They are a bit bigger than a nano but a few would do fine in a 15g I think. They mostly stay around the bottom of the tank and breed prolifically, though I am having trouble getting mine to not eat the fry.

Anyone have any thoughts on the cardinal or neon tetras or other suggestions?

Neons might do fine but probably not cardinals. I would be worried about the lone serpae though. You probably would want to rehome him/her.

I'd be perfectly happy to get rid of him honestly lol. I know they're notorious fun nippers, although mine never seemed to be particularly aggressive. The platy I used to have was the aggressive one.

Back
Top Bottom