New set up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greenpants200

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey whats up all, this is my first post on the forum, so hi. I'm new to saltwater aquariums so I figured I'd ask around to see what everybody had to say. I'm looking to get a saltwater tank set up within the next few months. I've had a freshwater aquarium for a while now, everything is going and has been going fine. Anyways, I've been falling for lionfish pictures all over the net. I'd like to get a smaller one that grows to around 7" or 8" But, I'd also like some other fish in the tank (2 or 3 at least.) What size tank would I need to house a fish that big and the others that have to be near his size, or at least significantly bigger than his mouth? :wink: Also, any suggestions as far as compatability?

The bigger the better for salt water I think but I think a 50 would do fine....But im not sure cause one of my friends has a freshwater tank w. 2 big oscars in it and he says its to small.

55 Gallon is definitely too small. I'm planning on keeping around 25-40" of fish total. And I know saltwater is much less tolerant in regards to the "fish to water" ratio.

xIHaKIx said:
The bigger the better for salt water I think but I think a 50 would do fine....But im not sure cause one of my friends has a freshwater tank w. 2 big oscars in it and he says its to small.

Making a suggestion that you are not sure or experienced to make is not appreciated in this forum. If you cannot provide knowledgeable assistance, do not respond.

A 55 would be great for a dwarf lionfish. Not sure what tankmates you are considering but keep in mind that if it can fit in the lions mouth, there is a chance that is where it will end up. And they can swallow items close to their own size. So, be sure the tankmate is larger than the lion and be sure it's not something that is gonna pick on the delicate fins of the lion.

The dwarf lionfish only gets to about 2-3” so a 55 should be fine with a few small tank mates. The dwarf isn’t as pretty as the larger ones IMO but is still a cool little fish :)

Feeding a live diet might get old after awhile as some lions will not eat frozen very well.

Greenpants200 said:
Not quite sure what you're referncing...Dwarf Lionfish get to be 7-8"

Agreed. The only one that stays 3-4 inches is the fu manchu lion and it's not as hardy as the other choices and harder to come by. Also, I've never had a problem getting my dwarf lions to anything and very easily converted them away from live food. I feed them fresh raw shrimp pieces, silverside pieces and freeze dried krill from a feeding stick. There is no need to feed live food and take the chance of introducing diseases to your system and/or fish.

General rule of thumb for stocking is 1" for 5 gallons. Remember, that's adult length not the length the fish is when you purchase it.

KG

Awesome, thanks for the assistance all. Anybody have suggestions for cost effective ways to create a natural looking environment for a lone lionfish? Also, what substrate do they prefer?

lionfish like to perch vertically, head down, against liverock. A nice "cliff" would be the way to go. As far as substrate, they are never on the bottom and could care less. Sand is probably your best bet.

Back
Top Bottom